Fusion Drivin? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Happier, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Happier, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

Happier macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Leading up to Christmas I am trying to decide which Macbook pro (non retina) to buy.

I just heard about fusion drives and am wondering whether or not I would end up with a better computer if I bought a:
    a) cheaper 13" for 1000-1400 and then added a fusion drive,
    or b) bought a more expensive 15" for about 2000.

How would they compare for speed and price? I will be needing this for graphic design at university, so photoshop, Indesign, processing photos and movies etc. Thanks

PS I have no knowledge of how to install a fusion drive so will also need to pay a shop to install one (if i can)...

2. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Don't pay a shop...

http://tomasz.korwel.net/2012/11/04/apple-fusion-drive-on-late-2010-macbook-pro/

For graphics work I'd imagine that you'd benefit greatly from the discrete GPU in the cMBP15.

If 256GB will be sufficient, going with a small SSD as your main drive is preferable to a Fusion drive (and no more expensive). If you do need 500GB+ of storage space, then a DIY Fusion drive will cost you $150+ (about half of what a 500GB SSD costs) and your onboard Superdrive. If you need the onboard Superdrive or want to stay under $200 for 750GB, the you'll have to go with a hybrid (Momentus XT).

3. Hexley macrumors 6502a

If you dont go Retina do a DIY job for Fusion.

4. Happier thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man,
    I'm happy to spend anywhere up to 2000 on the whole kit so I could get a more expensive SDD? and must remove the optical drive to have room if i went fusion, right?

5. Hexley macrumors 6502a

Most people want to keep a HDD as they find SSD's $/GB too prohibitive for anything more than system, apps and preferences. Actual data is stored in the HDD. So the only way to do this would be to swap out the Superdrive with either a SSD or HDD in a 2nd HDD caddy.

Now it is possible to go on a purely SSD + Superdrive setup if you can afford. The SSD I am eyeing comes in capacities of 128GB, 256GB and 512GB. Other brands go north of these capacities but the price skyrockets.

In my case my spending priorities does not have me spending anything more than $300 on a SSD and I have not used a Superdrive in almost a decade.