Fusion-io ioScale 2 and Mac Pro 5,1 (PCIe SSD)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleTools, Nov 16, 2016.

1. AppleTools, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

AppleTools macrumors member

AppleTools

Hello everybody!

Hope someone can give me a hint!

I recently came accross a couple of Fusion-io PCIe SSD cards... price was unbeatable so I took them right away hoping that my Mac Pro 5,1 could do the rest...

Sadly, that's where the dream ended... I installed the cards and they were not recognized by disk utility. So I checked the system profiler and alas! They show up in their respective PCIe lanes but with no driver installed!

Thinking it was going to be an easy fix, I started looking for the respective drivers but that prooved to be quite a challenge since Fusion-io was acquired by SanDisk recently...

Finally found some drivers for OS X 10.9 and 10.10 which evidently didn't work on Sierra...

[ UPDATE ]

I installed Mavericks on a second HDD. Then installed the drivers downloaded from SanDisk website.
    Volume shows up fine but since the drivers have to be loaded from the OS, the card may not be bootable... :-(

Now I am upgrading Mavericks to Sierra to see if the drivers are passed to the new system and I can get the Fusion-io Drive to show under Sierra.

[ UPDATE 2 ]

No success on passing the drivers from Mavericks to Sierra... Lost the Fusion-io when upgrading the OS.
    Tried disabling SIP (System Integrity Protection) and installing from root. No luck either... :-(

----------

Anyone there with a solution to make these pretty cool SSDs work on a Mac Pro 5,1 with Sierra?

The exact model of the PCIe cards I have is:

Fusion-io ioScale 2 (825GB)
    F11-003-825G-CS-0001

Any help or comment is highly appreciated!

2. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

The most recent Fusion-io drivers for Mac are Yosemite. There are no signed drivers for Sierra. I have several of these cards and they are useless with Mac OS X (I tried "csrutil disable" and the system would boot but hang with beachball before login). I don't have time to fool around with it any longer.

If you want to download the drivers, you need to log in to support.fusionio.com (it redirects to sandisk) and create an account. the drivers are free for download.

3. denbee27 macrumors newbie

Any luck. We have two fusion cards that now need drivers.

4. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

This product is dead and there will be no more new Mac OS drivers created. So if you are after Yosemite they won't work. Unless you know someone who can hack signed drivers.

5. AppleTools thread starter macrumors member

AppleTools

Sad but true...

I installed a PCIe adapter with a SSD drive to boot my Mac Pro with Sierra. No drivers needed and it is actually quite fast at 6Gbps.

I had my last HD bay free so I installed a small HD I had in the drawer with Mavericks just for the purpose of using the Fusion i/o from time to time.

No luck mounting the volume on Sierra even less booting up an OS X from it...

Still, opening my Aperture or iPhoto Library from the Fusion I/O under Mavericks proved to be a delightful experience with the most fluid navigation I have ever experienced.

I'm sure you can still find a way to get some out of these cards if you want...

6. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Fusion-io cards were never bootable by any operating system. Hope you didn't waste any time on that goal!

I was a Sales Systems Engineer there for 4.5 years, I know a thing or two about the cards. They are still usable under Windows 10 (lucky, MS didn't break the drivers, the driver set is for like 2008/2012 and Win7 if I recall) and they the ESXi 6.0 drivers work on ESXi 6.5, that's where I use mine today. There's a hack to make the FreeBSD 9.x drivers work on FreeBSD 10.

It's the end of the line for them. It's a shame, they were great cards at the time and I was able to buy refurbs cheaply from my employer. I have lots of very fast ESXi VMs in my home lab.

7. AppleTools thread starter macrumors member

AppleTools

I figured that out myself after a few attempts!

And thank you for sharing your knowledge with us! Is always great to learn from the experts!

Still, my main goal was to drive my massive iPhoto Library. I restore classic cars as a hobby and side business and take pictures of every detail of the restoration process and when you have almost 100k pictures on your library things start to get sluggish... not with the Fusion I/O! Super fluid!

I got a couple of these cards for around $150 each which is not horrible deal as I was able to achieve my main goal at least under Mavericks and they are 825GB which is a pretty decent size...

Being an Apple Techie for over 30 years I have had the opportunity to acquire a large collection of Apple stuff so having these cards on my Mac Pro is like having my Applied Engineering cards on my old Apple //(s), they just are so damn cool that you must have them...