fusion is not starting the migration

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vastoholic, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Queso macrumors G4

I did something similar within Fusion itself onto the same computer. I didn't use the built-in tool in Fusion and instead went with the vCenter Converter, which I think is the thing you're describing.

Firstly, you need to install a bunch of sysprep files on the XP machine otherwise the Converter doesn't work. Helpfully Microsoft have made these available as a free download here.

Then you network share a folder on the target Mac (which can be the MBP if you have sufficient disk space), boot the source machine into XP or fire up the XP virtual machine, and run the Converter. It comes up with a "Wizard" type affair where you select the target destination as the share you've previously configured, your drive settings etc. The Converter will then create the vmdk files on the target share. Once complete you should be able to create a duplicate virtual machine in VMWare from these, then it's just a case of testing it and reclaiming the Boot Camp drive space back on the MBP once you're happy.

2. vastoholic thread starter macrumors 68000

vastoholic

3. Queso macrumors G4

On the Windows machine go into Computer Management and turn off the Automatic Updates service. That will stop the computer trying to restart itself. The rest you should be able to leave.

4. vastoholic thread starter macrumors 68000

vastoholic