Fusion on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Floyd923, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Floyd923 macrumors newbie

I just would like to confirm an assumption of mine. About to purchase Fusion, given that it is 50% off today. Before I do, I just wanted to make sure of one thing.

Can I install Fusion to run the already installed XP partition that was done using Bootcamp? Will this restrict my use of the virtual Windows any (as opposed to installing XP via Fusion)?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I think the whole point of Fusion is that you don't need a partition, you run it all in the Mac OS. When I upgraded from Boot Camp to VMF I reinstalled, but then I didn't really have that much work to transfer so it was an easy choice. Though I don't remember being able to run from the partition.

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

However, in addition to my above post, it is worth it, VMFusion is far better than Boot Camp and I believe better than Parallels. If you use Windows more than once a week go for it :)

Can you not BackUp your Windows then recover to it to your new install?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, Fusion will run XP from your current Boot Camp partition

You can continue to run XP natively by booting directly
    Or you can run it virtually with Fusion

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, you can use Fusion to launch your XP/Boot Camp partition. Seems to be much easier than installing Windows twice.

No, you don't have any restrictions that I've ever run across.

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Thinking back I think I wanted to also change the size of my partition, so this supported my idea to start again. I only use XP to run a few work programs and don't save many files so it wasn't really a problem. Re-activating Windows didn't cause any problems either.

7. Floyd923 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies and info. I want to keep the boot camp partition for MacDawg's exact response. I wanted to be able to boot up natively into windows if needed, and just use Fusion when I need to pop into windows for quick use.

But now this is a mute point since, the idiot I am, missed out on the cyber monday sale. Forgot to purchase it when I got home that day. Guess I just need to suck it up and pay full price.

Thanks again

Correction: Thanks to Ads by google that I see below me, I can save 25%...its not 50%, but at least its not full price.
    Promo code: FusionRocks