Fusion : OSX as guest OS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AppleDApp, Oct 8, 2013.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I am currently using VMWare Fusion 5.0.3 and want to install previous version of OSX.

My linux distros and windows runs well but I just installed 10.8 as a guest OS on a 10.8 iMac and it's very laggy.

Has anyone seen any issues with this. I also want to install 10.6 and 10.7 at some point.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

OS X doesn't run very well from a GUI standpoint. Fusion isn't able to provide it with the needed GPU acceleration. Lion can be put into Fusion without a problem. But only Snow Leopard Server is explicitly allowed to be virtualized, Snow Leopard client is not.

3. AppleDApp, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

What can I expect from a GPU point of view?
    I'll try Lion
    Can I use Snow leopard server without using the server features? I assume so.

edit Can someone give me some pointers for installing OS X in Fusion. It doesn't seem as straight forward.

I got an error trying to install 10.7
    I don't have a server version of 10.6
    and the UI for 10.8 is very buggy.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Can OSX be virtualized on a windows host machine?

If so, how is the performance?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think the Fusion GPU for OS X virtual clients is around the power of an Intell GMA X3100. I could be wrong about that and it may have gotten better. With Snow Leopard Server, it's all or nothing. You can choose to not use the server portion of it though, but it'll still be installed.

No, not only is it against the EULA but the VM software won't be able to properly emulate the Mac hardware without running on a Mac.

6. SlCKB0Y, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y