Fusion/Parallels and Mac Pro..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dgdosen, Feb 29, 2008.

1. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Are there many mac pro Fusion/Parallels users?

I use Parallels on my MBP - but usually stick with Bootcamp because the juice gets eaten up to quickly running Windows in a VM (at least for my tastes)

But now, with a MacPro with plenty of processor capacity and plenty of memory - are there any users who keep VM's up and running for whenever necessary? I may start to do this in the new setup... That might make me one step closer to switching.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If I'm doing a web site I'll often run parallels in the background with XP, using a separate spaces screen - save the bother of closing down, working for a awhile and then starting up to check again.

I only give 512mb ram to parallels, and I have 11GB so it doesn't impact me too much memory wise. Processor wise doesn't appear to make much difference either to my daily workings.

3. rshanahan macrumors regular

XP Pro runs all the time

I run Fusion 100% of the time. My xp pro vm is actually in my user startup options so it runs at boot time. I have 2 displays so Windows on right, OSX on left (can't wait until Fusion supports dual displays, if it ever will). I have no performance or stability probs.

Running 2007 MP, 2x2.66dc, 9gb ram, boats of disk. My xp vm has 3GB allocated memory w/2 processor support.

Rick

4. iSail macrumors newbie

After running Bootcamp and Fusion for a couple of months, I decided that rebooting between OS's was too much trouble, and Fusion so stable, that I kicked Bootcamp off and use only Fusion for windows programs.

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I use Parallels. It runs all the time. No problems. Would recommend it in a minute. :D

6. Qjuu macrumors member

Is a Mac Pro powerful enough that I can play games in a VM? And if so, also with higher resolutions (1920x1200)? And is DX9 with shader model 3 thinkable in the near future??

7. ColonelSmith macrumors member

I haven't ordered my Mac Pro yet but I hear people use it with Parallels and Fusion all the time. I'm not sure but I believe you can use DX 10 even, if you have a supported card that is. So DX 9 should be supported.

8. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I run Fusion (in UNITY mode) 100% of the time, as many of my employer's apps require.

Now, if only I could figure out how to use Cisco VPN client inside a VM.

9. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

I've used the Mac OS X Cisco VPN client, which then allowed Windows applications in a Fusion "Network: NAT" VM (or under CrossOver) to work, and also used the Windows Cisco VPN client in a Fusion "Network: Bridged" VM without issue. I didn't do anything special though?

10. Qjuu macrumors member

That sounds really cool! It would be _the_ killer argument for me to buy a Mac Pro instead of an iMac. I've read something about fusion and parallels concerning gaming. Always with bad results. Problem is the performace loss due to virtualization. But this could be no problem with the pure power of a Mac Pro!

Concerning DX 9 and 10: Vmware's features page says "...Use even more Windows 3D applications and games with experimental support for DirectX 9.0 accelerated 3D graphics (without “shaders”)...." (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html). Thats why I asked about the near future. Wherefrom did you get this information about shaders?? I'm really interested in!

11. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Right now, I use the Mac VPN client, then open a Windows VM. Of the two Windows Cisco VPN clients I've used in the VM, neither worked for some reason. Couldn't communicate with the concentrator.

12. Squelch macrumors member

I also have Fusion running all the time, set up to start on login. There are a few little things that I have in my XP install that won't work too well in OS X. For instance, I have an older Canon N1220U flatbed scanner, and the ScanTools software is windows only. I use the scanner and my printer as a copy machine, (full color copies!) and it runs through XP on the VM.

I tried setting XP up with its own space, and leaving the desktop running all the time, but Unity is much better. I have a few Windows programs on my taskbar, like the scanner program, my Garmin map program, and a couple of other things. It's like having the best of both worlds, all the time.

13. JockItch43 macrumors newbie

I run my Cisco VPN client in my XP VM in Fusion all the time. I have no issues :confused:

I wasn't sure if it would work, but it does.

14. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I use Parallels with XP on my MP. I don't keep it running because it restarts in 5 seconds. 5 SECONDS! 5 SECONDS! Also, there is IE-only website that I use for work that has this ridiculous security that logs me out for inactivity every 5 minutes. If I quit Parallels so it saves state, when I start it back up I'm still logged in and can work immediately! One of the coolest things I've found using Parallels.

15. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Hmmm - are your HDDs at RAID 0 or RAID 0+1?

As I think about it - you can use the RAID 0 support in MacOS to create a new fast drive, throw the VM on that drive and boot up from it. I wonder how fast that would be...

16. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Why would you want to run 3D Games without shaders?

I plan to install Parallels and/or Fusion this next week on our Mac Pro 3.2GHz to see how it supports games unavailable for Mac (such as Crysis). I also plan to see if games available on the Mac (like Prey) that run 50% faster under Vista 64 will still run faster under Parallels or Fusion.

17. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Vista?

Anybody running Vista 64 in a Fusion VM? Just wondering what the Windows Experience Index was in that case...

18. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

My VMware Fusion suddenly doesn't work in UNITY mode anymore, and I'm pissed. It'll open program windows, though I can't move them, type in them (except for Notepad), or utilize them in any manner.

I uninstalled all apps I installed before it stopped working (Cisco VPN, McAfee Security Center AV/Firewall/Spam & Phish filter, Logitech SetPoint mouse software) and it still doesn't work. The only thing installed on the Mac OS was the Leopard Graphics update which I am not willing to remove.

I updated Fusion to the latest update, and that didn't help either. Has anyone else come across this problem? Any recommendations?

19. Ploki macrumors 68000

i use parallels. i'm a 3day os x user :D
    run it on 2x2,8 4gb 8800gt.
    but i HAVE to say, i mean, i'm an audio user, and i'm in the middle of setting up my system, but, why the hell do you even use windows anymore? leave very special apps that you URGENTLY need and cant use on os x.
    god, the only thing that crashes on this computer is things with "Microsoft" on it

20. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I use Parallels mostly for apps that Mac don't have. I am sure there are some forms of the ones I use around but just haven't found them yet. Also I bought "Toaster 8 Titanium" and it don't hold a candle to "Nero". I am not a gamer but there are a lot of user that are and they give there right arm for a program that would let them play games on a Mac.

21. Qjuu macrumors member

No, thats a misunderstanding :) I want to run games with shaders.
    "without shaders” is a quote from here: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html. VMware Fusion 1.1 doesn't support shaders - unfortunately.

I curious about your results!

22. slackpacker macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

Never had a problem with Fusion.

In fact Fusion can run many many programs that Parallels cannot even boot. Plus Fusion runs the programs much faster. Right now the Current version of Fusion is the Best.

23. Ploki macrumors 68000

fusion actually crashed on me several times, i just us parallels now. but to be honest i stil haven't found a piece of software that i miss... :)

24. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Not that I'm happy to hear that Fusion crashed on you, but I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one! :)

25. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have Parallels running 24/7 on my 1st gen Mac Pro. I leave NewsBin Pro running in the VM and it automatically grabs new headers from newsgroups every hour. I've had the machine up for more than a month on quite a few occasions. Everything runs great.