Fusion purchasing question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hodgjy, Feb 9, 2008.

1. hodgjy macrumors 6502

After using Parallels for a year, I recently decided to download the Fusion demo and try it out. Well, I really like it and plan to purchase a license. So, my question is this:

If I buy a retail box version of Fusion, which is cheaper than VMware's online store, will that included serial number unlock the demo software I'm currently using? I'm wondering because I'll bet many boxed versions of Fusion are probably version 1.0 and the download version is 1.1.1.

Thanks. I think I already know the answer, but I want to make sure first before taking my credit card out.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

1.1.1 is a free upgrade from 1.0 so there shouldn't be any difference in the serial numbers.

3. hodgjy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I was afraid I might have been missing something really obvious. I've learned to never assume anything.

4. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

check out this link as you may be entitled to a $30 rebate if you still have a proof of purchase of parallels laying around somewhere... not exactly sure if you can send away for the standard $20 rebate in addition to the other, but its worth trying

http://www.vmware.com/landing_pages/fusion_rebate.html

5. hodgjy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up on the competitive rebate. However, it's only good for Parallels versions 2.2 or higher. I bought it when it was still version 1.x. Oh well. I do appreciate the insight, though!

I think what I'll do is just pay at the online store because they're offering 10% for Valentines Day plus a $20 rebate. That brings the total cost to about $52, which is very reasonable for software that powerful.

Cheers.