Fusion running all the time?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by punkeb, Jun 7, 2008.

1. punkeb macrumors member

I am running Windows XP on my Macbook via Fusion. Will it slow anything down or cause any harm for me to have Fusion/XP running all the time? I currently suspend it each time I am done.
    Thanks much

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, it will slow down when it's running since it uses RAM and CPU.

3. nirav464 macrumors member

so everytime you start up fusion, will windows have to boot up everytime?

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

No, you can suspend it with VMWare rather than shutting it down. Next time you turn it on you're back where you were.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Is that recommended? Does this store it in the RAM or something? What if I restart my computer? Can I still resume Vista from fusion?

6. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

It writes the running state of the machine out to disk when you suspend it. You can then do whatever you like with your machine, including restarting it. The virtual machine will start up back where it was when you turn it back on.

To suspend the machine pick 'Suspend Guest' from the 'Virtual Machine' menu.

The only problem you might hit is that the time in the guest can get a bit wonky as it won't know that it's been suspended. If you have installed the VMWare Tools packages you should be fine.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It won't "harm" your system. My dad runs Parallels 24/7 on his iMac. I run Fusion whenever I need it, otherwise it goes to suspend.

8. nirav464 macrumors member

while you suspend it, does mac os x get slow? I mean does still act as if it still on?
    thanks

9. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

If you max out your RAM, and you don't allocate an excessive amount of resources to Fusion the impact should be minimal. I run Fusion 24/7 on my 4GB iMac and don't feel it at all.

10. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

No, the only thing it requires is a bit of hard drive space. Other than that it has no impact on your system when suspended. It doesn't use RAM or CPU time when suspended.

11. nirav464 macrumors member

what is the recommened RAM that i should allot to VMware to make it run smoothly without any "lag"? I'm thinking about getting 4 gigs on my Macbook.

thanks

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

probably 1GB.

13. operator207 macrumors 6502

MBP with 4 GB of Ram. VMware Fusion running XP Pro 512MB of ram allocated to it. I only "feel" it when Spybot or NAV decide to scan the drive. Then its like a small poke with a small stick. Nothing big.

When I am done using my laptop, I hit OPT CMD Eject to immediately sleep the laptop. I do not log out of the VM or suspend it. It runs all the time, I only reboot it when it needs to because of an update.

14. nirav464 macrumors member

so when running VMware does it drain the battery power?

15. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Of course...why wouldn't it?

16. nirav464 macrumors member

no i meant drain, Like basically dead in less than like half the normal time.

17. mkrad macrumors member

automatic timed suspend or shutdown of windows

Is there any way to stop Fusion from doing this? I would like it to stay running until I decide to shut down or suspend. I can't find any options for this under preferences or anywhere else, though.

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ are you that lazy? just add the suspend/pause/stop button to the tool bar. And click it when you want it to suspend/pause/stop.

19. mkrad macrumors member

Maybe I was unclear...

Vista automatically suspends after a period of inactivity, and I don't want it to do this. Is this a Vista setting issue rather than Fusion??