Fusion virtual machine Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CyberCrone, Apr 26, 2014.

1. CyberCrone macrumors newbie

CyberCrone

I have just installed Fusion on my Mac Mini and will also be installing it on a new MacBook Pro. I'm hung up on how to proceed to install virtual machine because I don't have enough information to make an intelligent choice. I'm intrigued by the option to import my PC and in that case would install the VM on my terabyte external drive. But here's what I don't know about that: it appears I will have to reauthenticate my Windows 7 OS that runs on the pc, correct?, but I need to know how that is done. So that's question #1

Question #2 is that I do have a version of Windows 7 on disc that I have never used but don't know if there is any way I can use that OS somehow to import my pc or if I am tied to the OS on my pc - this latter seems likely to me. But if I can somehow import my pc yet use my unused Windows 7 that I have on disc, this would be my preference, but I don't have a clue how that would be done. Am I asking for the moon here? If so, it wouldn't be the first time. I'm just that kind of gal.

2. satcomer, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Well you have two options and sometimes you could do both. On OS X you have the ability (nice the Intel days) to use Apple Bootcamp and boot into straight Windows 7 partition/other connected disk. The other option is using a Virtualization on Os X using either VMWare Mac Fusion,Parallels or VirtualBox.

You can't boot straight into a virtual machine but you could run OS X and Windows programs side by side.

Here are some examples:

WMWare Mac Fusion

Lastly you could run multiple Virtualization's at one so you could have Windows, OS X and Linux running all at once.

3. CyberCrone thread starter macrumors newbie

CyberCrone

Question restated

Satcomer, thank you for taking the trouble to reply, but apparently I did not make my questions clear enough. I already have chosen Fusion and have installed it.

Question #1 is about reauthenticating Windows 7 - how to do that. Question #2 is about whether I can somehow reinstall Windows 7 after importing my PC into VM, using a new previously unused version that I own.

It's all about Windows 7, not about choosing a platform for VM.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do you still have that Windows box that is running 7. I know there is a way to backup to a n External user folders/settings in Windows 7 and then you could important that backup to your bootcamp partition.

5. Tech198 macrumors G4

why are u importing your PC, if you already have an un-usued version ?

Just use that.... I'm not clear on Question 2.

As for question 1, yes after importing you'll need to re-activate, and it won't pass, since it's different hardware (vastly different)

Windows 7 is tired to the hardware on first activation if its a retail version, or pre-activated if an OEM, (eg computer bought from Dell, HP etc)

If you do have an unused copy of Windows 7 around, now is the time to use it or buy a license key from MS, nor new copy of Windows 7, since he imported one is useless.