Fusion, virusus, and firewalls

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DeadSirius, May 16, 2008.

1. DeadSirius macrumors member

I'm curious how Fusion interacts with my OS X firewall, and how exposed the rest of my Mac is in general. I have a Linksys router, and it's set as tight as I can make it, as well as my OS X Filesharing/Firewall/Remote Access settings. (I have no wireless or Bluetooth devices.) Yet, I've set no Firewall settings in my Windows/Fusion/Boot Camp drive at all. So is that a leak that a hacker can exploit and gain access to my Mac drives? Or do my Mac settings apply themselves to the Windows drive?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you email the developers? They probably have a FAQ section on it.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

While you have Windows running in a VM or Boot Camp partition it's vulnerable to every nasty that normally attacks Win systems. Therefore you need to protect your Win VM and Boot Camp partition the same way you would any Win machine. If you're running XP SP2 or higher the Windows firewall is on by default. But you need to install AV software both in the VM and Boot Camp partition.

As far as your Mac is concerned, it's safe from anything that happens within the VM or Boot Camp partition since it's completely isolated. Besides, the Windows nasties won't run on a Unix system.

Regards.