Fusion, Windows 7 x64, iMac, Quicken 2010

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iFalcon, Dec 2, 2010.

1. iFalcon macrumors regular

I have an iMac 3.06 with 4G. The machine runs great and can't believe how nice it runs Windows 7 x64.

The only reason I have Windows installed is for Quicken 2010. The odd behavior I'm experiencing is running the Quicken update to automatically download your Quicken portforlio, bank txns, and stocks.

On Windows, this updates takes less than 1 minutes. However, on the Mac side is runs for several minutes. The weird thing is the progress meter for each one of the 3 update steps acts like it's get suspended. After 5 or 10 minutes I will close the update window even though it says it's not completed, reopen it and everything is where is last was, but indicates updates are complete. I've confirmed the txns and so forth do download fine. It acts like the process never finishes, but does...very odd.

Has anyone experienced this? I probably did not explain it that great.

I appreciate your input.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I presume that "on the Mac side" means running your W764 Boot Camp install in Fusion while booted to Mac OS X. Correct?

It might have something to do with the way that Fusion is sharing your network card with Windows. Which mode is your VM set to use?

See for example: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2527

B

3. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

Not using bootcamp at all...just straight VMware Fusion.

I'll take a look at the article, but initial glance is it doesn't appear to be similar.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OK. Then I don't understand your comparison Mac vs. Windows. Are you comparing your Mac's performance to a Quicken on a separate PC. Quicken Mac vs. Quicken Windows in a VM?

The article describes the various modes you can use for networking VMs. Your VM uses one of them. If your problem is for Quicken Windows in your VM try a different mode. If it is a problem for Quicken on Mac, move this thread to Mac Applications.

B

5. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

My apologies. It's Quicken for Windows on an iMac via VMware Fusion.

I'll take a look at the article.

Thanks a bunch.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OK that's slow compared to what?

B

7. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

I'm comparing it our our dedicated windows PC that we are migrating from. It's the Quicken update feature to pull down transactions that appears to have some issues under VM.

Thanks.

8. jejagua macrumors member

I run Quicken 2010 in Win7-64bit in VMWare on a 13" MBP. I sync updates with multiple banking institutions and have not experienced the slow performance you are describing. My only difference is I run it in VMWare within OSX against my bootcamp partition, not on Win7 image as you appear to be doing...and my MBP is a lot wimpier than your iMac.

It lends you greater flexibility if you install Win7 on bootcamp, then install Fusion and point it at your bootcamp partition.

9. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm....I never thought about trying that.

I'll mess around with that approach this weekend.

Have a nice weekend all.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note that The flexibility comes at a cost. A shared Boot Camp VM typically performs less well than a dedicated one and you typically have to dedicate more HDD space to a shared install than a dedicated one.

B