Fusion/XP SP3 Freezing on re-activation screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I'm attempting to install my Boot Camp partition as a Fusion virtual machine. I've installed and activated XP under Boot Camp and XP has all of the current updaters, including SP3.

I rebooted to OSX and choose the Boot Camp partition as the startup so that I could then install VM Ware Tools and re-activate.

However, when choose the Boot Camp partition and try to launch it, I get the "the hardware on this machine has changed, you need to reactivate" screen and then XP freezes on that screen. The cursor doesn't move and I'm stuck.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try pressing escape. If the keyboard's working, that should dismiss the dialog.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

4. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fixed

I was able to force the virtual machine to restart using the restart item from the VM Ware menu. It took a couple of times but finally the cursor didn't freeze and I was able to choose "no" and continue on to install VMWare Tools.

Then I had to activate manually over the phone. That's such a joy...

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Did your fingers ache after tapping in all those # ?? 35 i believe

6. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Crazy activation Hell!

Yes, my fingers are tired. Here's what happened:

1) Installed a brand new copy of XP on boot camp partition about two weeks ago.
    2) Waited until today to activate. Activation screen said it had been activated too many times and I had to call. This was a brand new copy of XP!

3) Called and activated on the phone. Tedious.

4) Rebooted to Boot Camp partition from Fusion. Installed VMWare tools. Had to reactivate on the phone again. Lame.

5) Booted back from Boot Camp. Had to reactivate AGAIN! This time, the internet activation worked and now both the Boot Camp and the Fusion boot installs seem to be happy.

Sheesh. What a crock. If I was a pirate, I'd already have gotten tools to make this activation crap unnecessary.