FusionDrive vs separate SSD / HDD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by disasterdrone, Nov 1, 2013.

1. disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Hi there - I have a 5,1 MBP with a 128gb SSD in the main slot and a 7200 1tb drive in the optical bay, and 8gb ram. I'm running Mavericks. I love the SSD, but recently have been mulling configuring the setup as a fusion drive.
    My logic is:
    Right now the SSD is about 50% full. I have my OS and apps on it. I feel like OSX could make better use of the fastest space, putting my frequently used data on the ssd.
    I back up regularly with TimeMachine, and am not worried about increased drive failure risk.
    Should I do this?
    Thanks!

2. Benjamin99 macrumors member

I read the other day about some people having issues when upgrading....so I held off on my iMac w/ home built fusion drive - however, i'm having trouble finding the threads I read about it...

3. disasterdrone thread starter macrumors 6502

Me too - would love to hear more reports on this!

4. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I updated both my Fusion Drive MacBook Pros to Mavericks without problem.

Both have 960Gb Crucial M500 fused with a Samsung 1Tb 5400rpm HDD.

Both machines are 17 inch, one is mid 2010, and the other early 2011.

5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I fusioned an iMac 27 with an external drive via Fire wire 800. Worked great except when the drive went to sleep. Then got random read errors and some crashes when the drive did not wake up quickly enough for the OS.

Eventually un-fusioned it and just moved the big stuff like music and photos to the external drive. A pain because everthing had to be reloaded from a backup.

You might do better with the internal hard drive.

Command wise it worked like a charm.

6. Benjamin99 macrumors member

Well I backed everything up and decided to risk it. I updated to Mavericks on my iMac using the App Store update (not a clean install) and it went as smooth as could ask for. Surprised - have not had any issues since and that was about 3 weeks ago.

7. disasterdrone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - it was a subsequent poster who was interested in updates - I am interested in how the fusion works compared to a separate ssd and hdd in one machine!
    Thanks!