Futurama: Bender's Big Score Discussion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Nov 27, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I know there are Futurama fans on this board.

Got it today from Amazon, and just watched it. I don't want to spoil it for anyone sooooo, leave now if you don't want it to be spoiled :D

It was pretty good, the little thing about Fox was a good starter. I don't know how they are going to split up these episodes, should be interesting. But anyways this is pretty much classic Futurama. As a movie it's alright nothing spectacular, maybe because half way through I kind of figured out the plot twist of Lars and Fry. I don't know if the creators were trying to give it away or what, but it was still good.

The time stuff got a bit confusing trying to piece everything together, but I guess in the end, everything works out. The ending wasn't as amazing as the "The Luck of the Fryrish" (Fry, his nephew with the same name, yea, you know the one), but again, that might of been because of the obvious Lars Fry connection. I am glad that it was Futurama, and not some crap they put together for a DVD release. All the connections between humor and science/science fiction, makes futurama great.

I'll probably watch this dvd again when the other DVD comes out, and it will probably be even better. Just like all the other episodes I've watched a million times and never get tired of them. I was expecting the animation to be a bit better quality, but it's pretty much the same if not a little worse? Yea I dunno, maybe it was my expectations. Not that it really matters. I guess it keeps true to the TV series (which it will be, along with the 4:3 ratio)

Hmm what else.... I think that's about it. Discuss on Futurama people of MR! :D

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I just watched it this afternoon and it was amazing. I love all of the different references to old episodes: The flash fossilization of Seymour, the buildings being destroyed in New York by spaceships, etc.

I am sooooooo glad that being cancelled for so long and coming back didn't ruin it like Family Guy.

3. TraustiB macrumors member

Watched last night. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, I'll have to watch it a few times before I can post anything meaningfull about it. But there are many things I really liked and a lot of things I was really confused about and wasn't sure what I felt :p

But the whole thing was awesome, really nostalgic :D Loved the 16:9 aspect ratio too and the new theme song after the Fox shoot-out :D

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

5. TraustiB macrumors member

Its a new set of "episodes", 4 episodes compiled into a single movie. Total of 16 new "episodes" = 4 feature length movies. :D

More info about this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471711/

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oohhhh i seeee.

wow thanks for telling us. i wonder if they sell it in aust ??? hhmm

7. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Did you guys watch any of the other stuff included on the DVD? I watched the Math thing. It's pretty interesting to see that there are encoded messages throughout all of the episodes. They showed how to decode some of them.

I loved the movie, and the potshots at Fox :-D I'll probably watch it again tonight once I'm home from work.

8. TraustiB macrumors member

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well...

I didn't like the shoehorning of all the old characters and locations. It's as if they tried to get everyone in there to show "hey look, we're the same as before!".
    Only really laughed at the intro bit too "What about our many fans?" :D

Overall I wasn't too impressed. It's a good continuation of the series and it's entertaining, but I wouldn't put it up there with some of the older episodes.

I'll give anyone who didn't realise Lars was Fry in his first few scenes a slap. I think they made that too obvious. Or maybe I've been watching too much Doctor Who to know about time travelling tricks ;)

7/10 here. Faltered more with the South Park style film parodies.

10. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea lars and the damn past characters that keep popping up were the down side to the DVD. But I guess it's really the first "movie" so it's somewhat understandable, kind of like the Simpsons movie, it just didn't feel like a movie. But it also didn't feel like a bunch of episodes linked together. I'll have to watch it a few more times.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I hate you all. No release outside of the USA yet. Going to order a Region 1 copy and watch that...

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I won't actually read the posts above but...yay mine is on the way! I can't wait to watch it.

13. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Unfortunately because of the USA-only release I had to torrent it, but I will be buying it when it is released.

I thought it was fantastic. All the references were fantastic and I loved how they made use of a lot of the characters from the episodes (such as God Space Entity from Godfellas). It kept the quality of the best of the episodes. I think you must really be a fan of Futurama and have seen all the episodes to really appreciate it to the full extent.

Overall, 9/10 :D

In the words of Bender: "Spot of tea please, jerkwad!"
    "Its called class you jokel. Now if you excuse me, I have a buttocks to tattoo!"

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Anybody else paused the DVD when bender was signing the petition to take note of his email address? I wrote him and "he" answered back pretty quickly. :D Kuddos to the Futurama crew for this clever little easter egg. (I didn't write to Amy yet. sergeant Kroker might not like it.)

I liked the DVD a lot, but dang, that box is so flimsy.

Man! That Torgo's Executive Powder sure is versatile. I should order a crate or two.