Future 3G locations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpruitt, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jpruitt macrumors member

jpruitt

I have tried searching for details as to where AT&T will be expanding their 3G services but have had no luck. It's currently available in 280 US Metro areas, and will be offered in nearly 350 metro areas by the end of 2008.

It would be nice to see a list or map of the proposed 3G areas, has anyone else heard or seen anything?

2. PJF13 macrumors member

I talked with a local ATT rep today who said that by late Fall 2008 Portland (Maine's largest city) should have ATT 3G up and running and that sometime next year Bangor (Maine's second largest city) should have 3G.

He seemed knowledgeable about the subject. Currently Maine has no 3G coverage.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Woot! Thats good news as I am going to be upgrading to 3G when it comes out...

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I would say HowardForum's AT&T section would be a good place to hover around.

They have a subforum dedicated to AT&T's 3G expansion. New 3G towers go online almost weekly.

5. elbirth macrumors 65816

your profile says you're located in Charlotte, NC. Assuming that's true and you're wanting to know about 3G there, this map- http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
    shows that 3G is already there. And then again, if you're wanting to find out about some other location that you know doesn't have it currently, sorry but I can't find much about that either. I'm an hour outside of Raleigh with no 3G access, but am hopeful that I'll get it at some point (but I do go to Raleigh often, so it'll get some use there at least)

6. jpruitt thread starter macrumors member

jpruitt

Yeah, I've already checked the map. I'm just on the outskirts of Charlotte, without 3G. I'm in Charlotte quite a bit for business. But mainly I was checking for other places that I travel quite frequently.

I've sent an email to a friend of mine who works as a developer with AT&T in Alabama. Hopefully he can access some information. :)

7. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

3G is supposedly being turned on in Chattanooga, TN on June 30!

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If they're anything like O2 - they should have an online future predicted coverage map, alongside their coverage map.

I know that with O2 you can go into the store, give an address/post code, and they can show you all the towers, GSM, 2G 3G etc, and also any proposedgetting ready to be built, and also coverage of those.

Might be worth checking. For those in the UK, the in-store map system is more powerful than the online customer version.