Future betas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gianthobbit, Jun 7, 2011.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

Got iOS5 beta finally installed. Can someone tell me how you install the future betas? Does it require full restore like the initial install? Is it done seamlessly via iTunes or do you need to download a .ipsw file each time etc?

2. obamtl macrumors regular

In the past, one had to return to the developer site to get a fresh .ipsw file. iTunes won't do it for you. However, we don't know how it will work this time. With iOS 5, we are supposed to have delta upgrades pushed to the phone, meaning that Apple's servers will push smaller files that contain only the changed codes to the device over wi-fi. We will see if they use this for Beta 2 and subsequent pre-GM versions.

3. mosec macrumors newbie

If my udid gort registered today will it work with the future betas too?

4. OMGwtfBBQwings macrumors regular

Whendo you think we can expect the GM's?

I wouldn't mind upgrading to iOS 5 GM, done it before on 4.3 and everything was ok.

Anny timelines for next betas? Or are apple random?

5. obamtl macrumors regular

For as long as it remains registered, you will be able to download future betas of both iOS 5 and future OSs supported by your device. However, you cannot trust all these online UDID rackets. Nothing stops them from delisting your UDID in the future, just so that they can sell more registrations.

6. obamtl macrumors regular

Usually a couple of weeks (2 weeks? I don't remember for sure) between builds, as they iron out the bugs. There is no set timeframe (beyond a general target to have the final version ready for Fall.... which could be anytime between September and early December). It is hard to predict how many beta builds there could be (it could be as few as 1, or heaven forbid... 100). You only get an inkling when there are no bugs being found by users.

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Unless the person that registered your udid is a close friend it is NOT a good idea to install the beta. If your udid gets unregistered you may be left with a brick until iOS 5 hits public release.

8. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome, hopefully those delta OTA updates work out as planned. Thanks much!

9. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking (hoping) that they will test the delta updates prior to 5.0 GM. It might not be with beta 2, but it should be before GM. If we're going to see release in Sept, we might see 5-6 beta versions.