future bluray support?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by HeathLedgerDead, May 3, 2009.

1. HeathLedgerDead macrumors newbie

ok so everyone has seen the pic of the new itunes info displaying support for blueray

but what does that actually mean?

can current macs be "activated" with snow leopard to support bluray discs in their current drives?

or does this mean apples next computer/device will have a bluray drive if its launched along side of a new device?

2. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

I'm 99% sure that you can't activate a dvd player to play bluerays - through firmware or any software but correct me if I'm wrong.

I think in all likelyhood it refers to official support for blueray in a windows machine as there are many bleuray drives for pcs.

i think the next lot of macs/snow leopard will have blueray drives though - can't wait!

CMelton

3. HeathLedgerDead thread starter macrumors newbie

yea its good for you
    but i just bought a new mac FML

4. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

You can be 100% sure that a DVD player/recorder can't be made to be compatible with blu-ray discs. DVD players/recorders use red lasers. Blu-rays use...blue (well, blue/violet) lasters. Hence the name...

So Macs won't officially work until the system software gets upgraded to play/record them (right now they sort of/kind of work in a half assed way for Data recording and authoring but not for playing) and compatable drives will have to be installed internally or connected externally

5. HeathLedgerDead thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of any external blueray players for macs?
    Can u give links?

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

You can buy external Blu-ray drives and the Mac will read the discs as ordinary data, but you cannot playback Blu-ray movies in Mac OS X. You have to use BootCamp and Windows software.

7. JasonA macrumors member