Future Careers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheShinyMac, Jan 13, 2011.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

As of now I'm a sophomore in H.S. Since I have been little, I have been more than interested in Aviation "pilot" But now with the success of developers on the App stores and the like, I have been thinking about learning how to code for iOS and OSX. Almost everyday I think about those two options. Should I go for one or do both? I keep thinking about software development being outsourced and the like, however with commercial aviation I know that the human pilot will never be replaced by computers, because glitches happen and it only takes one.

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I wouldn't say never, but I also wouldn't let that fear deter you from being a pilot if that's what you want to do.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Seems to me that these are two directions you could travel together. I would do both.

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

This is some good advice. Many of the better jobs in the aviation industry (at least in the US) will want a four year degree, but the subject of the degree itself is typically irrelevant. So the common wisdom is to get educated in something that'll pay your bills if for whatever reason you're forced to stop flying (i.e medical issue, lose your job, etc.), or you simply decide that flying isn't for you.

Writing code is definitely a good alternative option. It can easily be done concurrently with many flying jobs, as all you'd need is a portable Mac to work on your programming while you're sitting in a hotel room or crashpad somewhere.

5. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

So you think its a good idea to major/minor in computer programming in college? I need to vastly improve my math skills!

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It's been a long time since I've been in the software development game - there are people here that can answer that far better than I can. But I do think it's a good idea to study something other than purely flying, even if flying is what you intend to do. Computer programming is certainly a good choice.

Now that doesn't mean that I'm trying to steer you away from an aviation university. quagmire has been studying at Embry Riddle, and that can definitely be a good option. But you'll have to talk to him about it, as I'm not too knowledgable in that area.

The good news is that as a sophomore, you have some time to figure all this out. There's no hurry, and it's great that you're asking these questions now.

7. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Don't do it, money isn't always isn't worth it , job satisfaction is.

Besides what is the difference between you with your computer science degree in 40 years and someone just starting the field? Nothing, you'll both know the same language with no differences. So the pay difference won't be great.

8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Echoing this poster's sentiments, here's a quote I try to follow by:

Identify and live your passion and the rest will just follow - it always does.