Future College Purchases

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cricketman, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

Hey guys

I'm currently a junior in high school and have been saving since freshman year for stuff to buy when I go to college. I've been scraping 100$ a month, somehow without an official job, into my savings account, and should have around $3,200 by June 2011.

I'm looking into purchasing the 2011 equivalent of the following;

Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz 13' (Stock) - $1500
    -Free Printer, Free iPod with the student deal.
    iPhone 3GS, 16GB, White - $199
    Beats by Dr. Dre, White - $299

What do you guys think of these purchases for a college bound student?

Also, I have a quick question about the free (after rebate) iPod touch promotion. Since i'm looking into getting the iPhone, is it possible to trade in the iPod and get that free? My uncle got an iPod free from work and they let him trade it in for an Iphone, but 'm asking whether this was standard. My whole family is looking to switch to AT&T (not all iPhones) so this will be a part of it.

Thanks.

2. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

As no one really knows what's going to be available in two years, its tough to comment, but you're doing a great job saving up.

and for the iPod/Phone I do believe you can use the rebate towards it but it could just be for iPods.

In for answers!

3. NP3 macrumors regular

Sounds great :) Kudos for having the discipline to put the money away. A lot of people can't do that.

You have plenty of time, but one thing i'd check to see if you're okay with....

I prefer the 15" screen b/c I can better fit two Word documents next two each other without feeling incredibly cramped. I found it was a lot easier when writing papers to have the paper word doc, my notes, and webpages in the background with the 15".

IMHO get cheaper sennheiser headphones that sound great and put that money to a 15".

4. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

Hi guys, thanks for all the responses!

@NP3: Portability is an issue. I have a 16.5 inch Vaio right now and it's a pain (quite literally!) to lug around. I know that the extra two inches will allow me to be more flexible when using the computer, but i'm willing to sacrifice that for portability and lightness. I may spring for an external monitor, not entirely sure which one, when working at home. Maybe.

I really like the Beats! :eek: I know they're not the best cans, and not worth the 300 bucks they charge, but they look damn good and are quality for hiphop and upbeat music that I listen to.

Anyone know about the iPhone rebate issue?

On a side note, I purchased a pair of Sony MDR-XB500's today from best buy for 69.99. They're great!

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I agree with Andy in regards to what was said regarding we have no clue what will be out.

As for headphones, check out AudioCubes.

Don't buy Monster, don't do it.

6. JCP21 macrumors member

WOW i cant believe all these offers are handing out for students, [​IMG]

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

8. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Apple is very kind to its students, though I wish we had the free Applecare here :(

Note that, for the iPods and printers, those are all mail-in rebates that people (my sister :mad:) lose quite easily.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

[smacks head on table]
    The Back-To-School Promotion (iPod) is over.
    It is not a mail-in rebate in the U.S., rather you go online and they mail you the check. In other countries, it is however mail-in.

10. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I see. Would make a lot easier if it was an instant rebate up north here :)

11. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz 13' (Stock) - $1500
    -Free Printer, Free iPod with the student deal.

Do not get the printer. Laser printers are cheap and save you money.

iPhone 3GS, 16GB, White - $199

What about the monthly fees?

Beats by Dr. Dre, White - $299

OMFG. :(

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's not instant, but it's definitely easier. Still Apple might have the best quality in terms of mail-in rebates.

It's free, if not the OP can get a discount on a more expensive printer. Once again, the printer is free, why would you not take it?

13. Andy348 macrumors 6502

True.

When I helped my sister move into University, I spotted 13 dads carrying Canon printer boxes and MacBook boxes together. The free printer/iPod for the beginning of a school year is definitely smart marketing and a great money maker for Apple.

Anyways, back on topic, haha.

14. katyoshi macrumors 6502

Your list of contents there may be obsolete by 2011 in terms of slight improvement bumps and maybe new technology. Great you're saving money. Keep saving because I suppose better things are going to be out by then and it may be cheaper as well. Good predictive list though!

15. Cricketman thread starter macrumors regular

The printer is free and decent. Why not?

Monthly fee's, luckily, will be taken care of by my parents. We're shelling out $150 per month for the family plan on T-Mo (I have a G1), so it shouldn't be that much more/might even be the same amount with an iPhone and 2 'normal' lines on ATT (plus 400 texts or something).

What's wrong with the Beats?

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Search around AudioCubes if the looks are so important, they are overpriced and not great sounding, especially absent an amp. By any means, they are extremely overpriced.

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The real cost in an ink jet is the replacement cartridges. The mark up on inkjet cartridges is similar to movie theater popcorn. Black and white lasers, in addition to giving better print quality for b&w documents, don't run out or dry up like ink jet cartridges. Nothing like having to turn in a paper at 8 in the morning and having your cartridge give out the night before.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For Christ sake, it's a free printer. Why is it a bad idea to take advantage of the printer. There are some logical ideas that come to mind, like I don't know...selling the thing?