Future college student...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nateo200, Sep 16, 2010.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Ok so I currently own an iPad and of course some iPods :cool: but I graduate in a few months and for colleges I'll of course need a lappy. Everyone I know has gotten a MacBook for colleges. They seam like the bomb. Now what I'm curious about is there life...I'm not sure how tight I'll be on cash but I need something to last four years, even if tech changes every 12-18 months this thing is gonna have to last. I'll be doing some heavy science courses, a little math, and history most likely and then med school. Is the MacBook a good choice? I'm looking at the 13" model...after iPad I don't think I could anything bigger:rolleyes:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would say a macbook would be fine for what you want to do, I would wait until close to when you go to university, or at least until you graduate to get it, but I think it would be a good buy

3. Covart Guest

Wait for the refresh if you can and go with the MBP with the new Sandy Bridge chips. Plus, the backlit keyboard is such a nice feature for low light environments.

4. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Yeah I'll probably wait tell I graduate or when it gets refreshed, when does it get updated though? Don't really pay attention to there computers just the iOS products...

5. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

My daughter bought a 12" PowerBook in '05 for college. She still uses it now in her 2nd year of med school. I've since supplemented her computing by handing down my '06 first gen MacBook. She uses it as well and it runs Snow Leopard. An Apple notebook can truly stand the test of time.

6. Covart Guest

Estimates are first to second quarter of 2011 (or between Xmas and April).

7. tpg macrumors regular

I'm using a macbook (not pro) I bought 3 years ago. Going into 4th year of my physics degree, and it's still going strong :) In fact, the durability of the hardware is particularly impressive - it looks almost as good as new, and it has seen an awful lot of use.

Spec wise it can take most things I throw at it, with the exception of heavy duty games. The processor is fast enough to handle simulations etc. that I've needed to program.

8. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

And I'm guessing it won't need to be too hardcore or anything,I used to program extensively but I really don't anymore. Not much of a gamer either... Glad to see it's a good computer, I won't be needing the pro i don't think but the metal structure of the pro does seam nice....

9. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

You might be asking a biased group but, in my opinion, the MacBook is the perfect choice and unless you see Photoshop and Final Cut in your future, nothing bigger. Good luck!

10. LocoStrange macrumors member

If you are tight on cash, just get some cheap laptop to get you through college. After you finish, technology will be better and you may have the funds to get a better laptop, a macbook or a mbp

11. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

I wouldnt say I can't afford it but I usually feel bad making my parents pay for everything. I get a discount from my current high school as well as really all the colleges I've looked at, only 100 dollars but I guess better than nothing...