future front facing camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maclook, Jun 10, 2009.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._patent_for_camera_hidden_behind_display.html
    this is a patent by apple for placing and hiding the camera behind the display, rather than on top

if apple developed this and used it in future macs and iphone/ipod touches (and the new tablet hehe) i think it would be awesome. i dont know if anyone else was intrigued by this patent, but when i was excited when i first saw it and hope it works its way into development one day. my view of the future of video conferencing = looking at the screen instead of the camera on top of the screen

2. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Probably coming next year in iPhone 4G. Apple wants to make next year's iPhone appealing for iPhone 3G owners, and putting a front facing camera in the iPhone 3GS wouldn't leave as many appealing features. I'm hoping for 5MP camera with 1080p resolution and flash with the new camera, then I won't need my digital camera.

3. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

In the tablet maybe, but in the iphone? Seriously, why do people want this feature in their phone? Next time you make a phone call, put your iphone on speaker and hold it in front of your face for the duration of the call. How comfortable is that?

I know a lot of people want it, so for you all I hope it comes, I just don't get it. :confused:

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I think its absolutely stupid also. My current phone (because I broke my 3G and am waiting for my 3G S on the 19th!), an LG Shine has it and I have never, not ONCE used it. Stupid feature.

5. specify macrumors regular

Rumors here get recycled over and over..

But if it makes you feel any better, there's always a chance.

6. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yea they're going to have to redesign the phone from the ground up... lets hope they do some unibody aluminum magic :)

7. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

i think its an absolutely stupid feature...on an lg shine and any other phone for that matter. the chances that the person youre calling has the ability to vid chat is pretty slim. however, if all the iphone owners were given a front facing camera, the amount of people who can vid chat would greatly increase and make video conferencing on a cell phone more relevant and less of a useless feature. i rarely go on ichat anymore because it depends too much on who else has signed on. the power of calling somebody whenever i want is more appealing to me. you dont have to talk for hours, a quick 1 minute video chat to discuss plans would feel so much personal for me, something that ive lost through texting and regular phone calls.

having said that, putting the camera behind the display would further change vid chatting for the better which is the point of my OP. im not trying to spark the whole debate about whether vid chatting on a cell phone is necessary or not even though i love the idea :p

8. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

I don't think the slight 'off look' in current camera designs is that big a deal. But I agree, if you could look right at the screen, and that was the source of the camera on a comp, that would be cool. But I think that tech might be years off. A display that's also a lens, a little wait on that.