Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
I hope Apple is reading this...

Apple, I really like the new Mac Pro, it looks great and very powerful. However, I don't need that computer. I want an iMac. But the Pro version is simply looking a bit obsolete at the moment. Not to mention the abysmal updatability of both versions. Here's an idea.

Put the screen on a permanently mounted frame that makes it so the screen doesn't need to be removed to get to the internals. make the back of it screw on and off. Make the internals open to the user when the back is screwed off. Make it so I can update the drive, the RAM, and heck, maybe even the CPU and GPU. Sell those updates if you want, but stop with the 150% markup and you may even sell a few...

Combine the iMac and iMac Pro and use the Core-X series of chips. Save the Xeons for the Mac Pro. Redesign it so that there is adequate airflow so that thermal throttling will be a thing of the past. It's time. Blow my mind.

I know you CAN make this happen, the question is, will you make it happen.

Reactions: ruslan120

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I can always make a Hackintosh...
That's where threads like this turn to crap. No you can't with the same components for a significant price savings. .

Look at the YouTube videos where guys go in and upgrade the base model iMP and trick it out with max RAM and CPUs. What's the big savings? $18 in one, $13 in another and so on. And that was before Apple cut the BTO upgrade prices last week—check that out if you didn't notice.

Apple uses off the shelf components except for the storage SSDs and those are tied to the T2 chip. All other prices can be looked up and some of us have been doing it.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
That's where threads like this turn to crap. No you can't with the same components for a significant price savings. .

Look at the YouTube videos where guys go in and upgrade the base model iMP and trick it out with max RAM and CPUs. What's the big savings? $18 in one, $13 in another and so on. And that was before Apple cut the BTO upgrade prices last week—check that out if you didn't notice.

Apple uses off the shelf components except for the storage SSDs and those are tied to the T2 chip. All other prices can be looked up and some of us have been doing it.

Slow down there sparky, no where in my wish list did I mention I could build a hackintosh for less, only that I could build what I want...

edit: and I can buy twice the RAM from outside vendors coughOWCcough for half of what Apple charges...

edit 2: Which is probably exactly why Apple solders crap in or makes it otherwise exceptionally difficult to upgrade.

Last edited:

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I hope Apple is reading this...

Apple, I really like the new Mac Pro, it looks great and very powerful. However, I don't need that computer. I want an iMac. But the Pro version is simply looking a bit obsolete at the moment. Not to mention the abysmal updatability of both versions. Here's an idea.

Put the screen on a permanently mounted frame that makes it so the screen doesn't need to be removed to get to the internals. make the back of it screw on and off. Make the internals open to the user when the back is screwed off. Make it so I can update the drive, the RAM, and heck, maybe even the CPU and GPU. Sell those updates if you want, but stop with the 150% markup and you may even sell a few...

Combine the iMac and iMac Pro and use the Core-X series of chips. Save the Xeons for the Mac Pro. Redesign it so that there is adequate airflow so that thermal throttling will be a thing of the past. It's time. Blow my mind.

I know you CAN make this happen, the question is, will you make it happen.
imac more on plug and play and use.. Not for touch and hack.Want extra juice pay more

Reactions: Icaras

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
While upgradeability and easiness of opening is great for many of *us here*, it is virtually a no-brainer for the vast majority of people. They just don't open their machine. Ever. And if something fails, they replace it or have it repaired in a store.

"It just works" just doesn't work so well with hardware fuddling. Nobody wants that. The only reason to prefer user replaceable RAM modules is the ridiculous price when bought up front. So.... there is another way to fix it aside from making it accessible.

(Personally, I much preferred being able to just open the machine. Even for cleaning the dust out of it this would be a huge plus. That being said, every time I opened my cMP it wasn't because it was a cool thing to do, but to basically fix things: changing GPU for compatibility with new systems, throwing in SSDs or NVME SSDs for speed, adding USB-C ports, ... somehow good I cannot do all that on the newly ordered AIO.)

Reactions: Icaras

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I also don’t think this will ever happen. The iMac is so successful because of its simplicity. Modularity is not in it’s product DNA. Like has already been mentioned before, if you want modularity, that’s where the Mac Pro comes in.

This thread actually feels more like an xMac request in disguise.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
I also don’t think this will ever happen. The iMac is so successful because of its simplicity. Modularity is not in it’s product DNA. Like has already been mentioned before, if you want modularity, that’s where the Mac Pro comes in.

This thread actually feels more like an xMac request in disguise.

Done properly, it could be both. In fact, it would be an exceedingly simple change of just not soldering components and affixing the screen to a frame and making the back, not the screen, removable.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Done properly, it could be both. In fact, it would be an exceedingly simple change of just not soldering components and affixing the screen to a frame and making the back, not the screen, removable.

Better access would be nice in the models where the RAM door isn’t available. As would access to the PCIe SSD slot(s), if Apple would use a standard M.2 keying of the SSD board.

But making the CPU replaceable means mucking with their custom socket/cooling design to make it a little less fussy to work with. Making the GPU replaceable means moving it off the logic board onto a daughter board (which would be a custom job, no doubt). Those things have too much laptop pedigree in them to be used as they are in an upgradable iMac.

And of course, doing a new logic board layout for this (probably the worst/annoying part of the whole job) .

A good estimate is that such a beast would look a lot like the 2011 model iMac. Which isn’t bad, but it is 50% heavier than the current 2019 models, and much less friendly to VESA mount at ~30 lbs. Unfortunately, this stuff costs something, and Apple doesn’t seem interested in those tradeoffs.

But who knows, maybe Apple will be more willing with Jony gone. /shrug

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I just wish they'd make a maxed 21.5 version that was on par with a maxed out 27 inch version. You can't even get an 8 core in the 21.5 inch model, and I need that way more than a 27 inch screen. I like my screen small cuz my desk is small and it's easier to take in visually. I get they want people to upgrade, but I doubt people will buy a way bigger screen if they don't want it just for the cores anyways, that's a lot of extra money and stuff I dont want just for the extra 2 cores.

I assume the 21.5 can handle the extra cores anyways, I'd hate to hear it's a thermal issue, even the 15 inch MBP can hold 8 cores. Hopefully we'll see an update soon.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
Better access would be nice in the models where the RAM door isn’t available. As would access to the PCIe SSD slot(s), if Apple would use a standard M.2 keying of the SSD board.

But making the CPU replaceable means mucking with their custom socket/cooling design to make it a little less fussy to work with. Making the GPU replaceable means moving it off the logic board onto a daughter board (which would be a custom job, no doubt). Those things have too much laptop pedigree in them to be used as they are in an upgradable iMac.

And of course, doing a new logic board layout for this (probably the worst/annoying part of the whole job) .

A good estimate is that such a beast would look a lot like the 2011 model iMac. Which isn’t bad, but it is 50% heavier than the current 2019 models, and much less friendly to VESA mount at ~30 lbs. Unfortunately, this stuff costs something, and Apple doesn’t seem interested in those tradeoffs.

But who knows, maybe Apple will be more willing with Jony gone. /shrug

Honestly I would be happy with RAM and standard SSD/NvME drives easily accessible. I can live without the CPU and GPU upgradability. The last two are really pipe dream wishes.
[doublepost=1563841599][/doublepost]
I just wish they'd make a maxed 21.5 version that was on par with a maxed out 27 inch version. You can't even get an 8 core in the 21.5 inch model, and I need that way more than a 27 inch screen. I like my screen small cuz my desk is small and it's easier to take in visually. I get they want people to upgrade, but I doubt people will buy a way bigger screen if they don't want it just for the cores anyways, that's a lot of extra money and stuff I dont want just for the extra 2 cores.

I assume the 21.5 can handle the extra cores anyways, I'd hate to hear it's a thermal issue, even the 15 inch MBP can hold 8 cores. Hopefully we'll see an update soon.

I'd guess price is more of an issue.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Honestly I would be happy with RAM and standard SSD/NvME drives easily accessible. I can live without the CPU and GPU upgradability. The last two are really pipe dream wishes.

Yeah, if we ignore the CPU/GPU, you could do it with something very similar to the current case design if the logic board was laid out better for it. The 27” iMac 5K especially is already somewhat ideal. The RAM is accessible, and the NVME slot is right above the ports (if only it was M.2-compatible). It just needs some sort of access door. Too bad the SATA drive is on the other side of the machine. But I imagine you could create some sort of access panel along the bottom back of it without adding too much bulk.

I also imagine someone in the Apple design department complaining about not wanting a seam.

My pet peeve is that if you want to be able to convert between a VESA mount and the stand, you have to go with the iMac Pro, or use an adapter that mounts to the foot itself (so now you can clobber random things on your desk with the foot if you aren’t careful). The 2011 used to have a removable foot like the iMac Pro does… but they got rid of it.

jasoncarle

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
Minnesota
I haven't actually seen the inside of either of the iMac models, but I am sure that with Apples creativity it is possible.

syndr0me

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Target Display Mode. I’d love to use an iMac as both my personal machine by night and a monitor for my work laptop by day. This would solve all my problems at once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.