Future iPhone Buyer - Need Some Questions Answered.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nathanbookpro, Apr 27, 2008.

1. nathanbookpro macrumors member

Hey, names Nathan. After being a frequent Macrumors viewer, ive finally decided to sign up to the forums.

I'm planning on buying and iPhone once it is released in Australia, but i want to know a few things about the current iPhone.

I've read about certain problems and lacking features of the iPhone, however I dont know if some of these have been adressed since the updates to the phone. I want to know if:

1) in messaging you can use landscape mode, and if it has a 160 character notifier yet.

2) You can use mp3 ringtones

3) a charge icon appears now when charging.

4) there are customizable sms sounds

5) if there is a period on the first keyboard

6) there is a search function in contacts

Also,

- Is bluetooth an expected feature in the future?

- Are there profiles on the phone? such as on my Nokia N73, I have a silent profile for uni/work (in meetings) and a normal profile for all other times.

2. zmit macrumors regular

ok. so you are a long time viewer.... but you dont know the answer to half of these questions???

i am in Australia as well...

1) NO! -the update isnt out yet.
    2) NO! - but its not that hard to make your own. a quick google search for "iphone custom ringtones" will find you a lot!
    3) ok, well i havent got mine yet (coming in a few days) - but i believe it now does
    4) once again. a google search finds the answer.... but it requires a SSH and replacing a file (which isnt hard)
    5) double tap the space bar and it gives you a period - or tap and hold, then drag to the period.
    6) not yet

bluetooth IS in the iphone. just extremely limited.
    profiles? theres ringer or silent.
    just like the Windows mobile phones - im sure someone will make an app that does it.

but the simple answer to all of these is nobody knows. the official 2.0 isnt out yet. it will be released some time around june

3. nathanbookpro thread starter macrumors member

yea long time viewer to the site, not the forums.

Thanks for the reply, cleared up everything i guess.
    Its actually quite dissapointing that these features arn't included, but as you said 2.0 is released soon, so hopefully these issues will be addressed.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

1 no and no
    2 yes you can create ringtones easy and free with various programs and methods.
    3 yes
    4 theres only 2 text tones at the moment but if the phone is hacked you can pick anything.
    5 double tap space and the period is automaticly inserted.
    6 search function in contacts is confirmed to be included in the next update.

Bluetooth is included but very limited to what it does at the moment.
    The phone includes features such as ring, silent, vibrate only, ring and vibrate etc...
    Its not done thru a profile section but its there nontheless.

5. nathanbookpro thread starter macrumors member

ahhh, thanks. Really sucks about the messaging.
    Hmm I wonder how much this coming 3G iPhone is going to include, and how much better it will be.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The way the texting application is designed is kinda like a chat where it displayes your messages and replied messages from your senders in different bubbles and colored font.
    If its in landscape mode you probably wont be able to view the above typed text/conversation.
    if you go over 160 characters it dont notify but it automaticly sends it in 2 text messages.
    Not really sure what the next version will include but I cant wait to get one when its out.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

ahh, no.

no..

no it doesn't really suck about the messaging. you don't even have the phone, and you're assuming because you can't text in landscape, it doesn't work as good.

I send anywhere from 3,000 - 5,000 texts a month, and it hasn't affected me.

8. nathanbookpro thread starter macrumors member

no im talking about the 160 character notifier, id really like to know when im paying double for a message if i go over by one character. Usually if Im over by a few characters I can edit the message to fit within one. I'm not even that fussed about the landscape mode, it's just something I presume that I would like as an option.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You don't pay for each text over 160 on the iPhone i believe.

10. The Menacer macrumors member

No need to be rude...

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The landscape keyboard has its advantages, but one problem with it is that it takes a huge amount of screen real estate. In Safari, it's often not usable because there really isn't enough room to see the textbox you're typing in and the keyboard at the same time.

This is a quick, low quality picture, but maybe it shows you what I mean.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, given that the rotation feature is in the iPhone, it would be nice if it worked for all the apps....

12. McGiord, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I prefer to use the Mail app instead of the SMS.
    I think that a SMS is like the "fax" of mobile phones.

Check here for instruction to jailbrake/unlock:
    www.hackthatphone.com
    ________
    XR350