Future iPhone Display Resolution

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HammondofTexas, Jun 10, 2010.

1. HammondofTexas macrumors newbie

First I would like to say I am a long time reader, first time poster, and do not know If I am posting this topic in the correct sub-forum.

My topic is about the past display, current display, and future display on the iPhone.

Right now the iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS all have a resolution of 480x320. The iPhone 4 will have a resolution of 960 x 640, double that of the current iPhone with 4 times the pixels.

My question to everyone is this, does this mean that eventually a future iPhone, possibly 3, 4, or 5 years from now, will have a 1920 x 1280 resolution display? Keeping with the current "math" of the iPhone displays, this would be another 'doubling' of resolution and 'quadrupling' of pixels.

This would be amazing seeing as how this is a higher resolution than that of, for example, my 40" 1080p Samsung television! It may lead to amazing connectivity between iPhone and monitor/television devices.

I believe one of the primary reasons of the doubling/quadrupling of resolution/pixels is to keep things simple for iPhone App developers when re-creating their Apps for the next generation of iPhone.

Any other theories/comments/further excitement would be greatly appreciated!

-Hammond

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

No, Steve said that the iPhone has higher than the threshold of pixels viewable to the human eye. Anything higher will just be more taxing on the battery and hardware.

3. nosaj72 macrumors member

The new resolution for all practical purposes has topped out. The average person will not be able to make out individual pixels. Therefore, increasing the resolution any further would be pointless - no one would be able to tell the difference. I think this screen resolution will last for the next few years or more, and the next advance will be something beyond screen resolution. 3D display? Projection? Something else no one can imagine right now? Who knows.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Having a display resolution of 1920x1280 would be pointless on a screen as small as 3.5". Apple has been calling the display of the iPhone 4 a "Retina Display" because supposedly the pixels are so small that the human eye is unable to distinguish individual pixels at around a distance of 12" from the eye. Having pixels many times smaller than what your eye can see would be a waste. From this point, probably the only way that a future iPhone will start seeing even higher display resolution than what the iPhone 4 has will be to increase the physical size of the display.