Future iPhone Haptic Feedback & Functionality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GrindedDown, Aug 8, 2016.

1. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

The Taptic Engine on the 6s models has been a noticeable improvement from the vibrating actuators of years past and is some of the best haptic feedback there is on a phone. But why oh why can't we have keyboard feedback?!?!?!

I jailbroke my iPhone 6s Plus today for this very purpose: to use the Taptic Engine with the keyboard for feedback. I must say, this is one of the best methods of feedback I've ever used. Note: I'm using haptic pro.

They're obviously investing in haptic technology (for 3D Touch so far). I wonder if they're gonna continue that direction to enhance the "feel" of iOS and iPhone. There's even been some crazy experiments by Microsoft like using ultrasonic haptic wave frequencies to make glass feel smoother or rougher on a Nokia phone.

I wonder if this is going to be the future for phones in a market of feature parity.

/rant

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I don't know how far it's going to go. I think we'll see it gradually improved but I think it is something that Android manufacturers don't care about, like the mute switch and arguably 3D Touch.

5 years ago, there were rumors of Apple using Sensegs haptic feedback technology (which simulates different textures) but that didn't happen. I hope they do implement something similar soon.

3. GrindedDown thread starter macrumors 6502a

I definitely agree that android manufacturers don't care terribly. I will say though that using android phones is what got me craving haptic feedback for a keyboard.

I think apple is at least putting some research into haptic technology. The Taptic Engine is a great example of a consumer facing technology that is ready for prime time where as things like texture feedback will remain experimental for a while.

What I found interesting is that it seemed apple wouldn't use haptic for keyboards because it used a lot of power to spin the old vibrating motors and took a while (in "computer time") to vibrate at full intensity. Now with Taptic, they have massively decreased the time to register a full vibration while significantly decreasing power costs. Pretty impressive.

I would imagine we'll see deeper iOS integration with Taptic Engine before we see new haptic technology.

4. GrindedDown thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are getting pretty damn close cause dude the keyboard feedback is awesome.