Future iPhone Nomenclature: iPhone 6 Plus [S] ?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Has anyone thought about the naming system of future iPhones, especially in regards to the iPhone 6 Plus?

Obviously, there's not an issue with next year's iteration of iPhone being the "iPhone 6 ," but the "iPhone 6 Plus"? iPhone 6 Plus "? It's too much and just sounds awful.

In the past there's been speculation about the iPhone line following that of the iPad and just calling them the new iPhones. Anyone think this is a possibility?

:apple:

Last edited:

darkredcaffeine

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I think iPhone 6S Plus would be fine.

I really hope they don't go down the line of "the new iPhone", I can't stand that they did that for the iPads. For computers it makes sense not to have a number associated with them, for phones it doesn't.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

I really hope they don't go down the line of "the new iPhone", I can't stand that they did that for the iPads. For computers it makes sense not to have a number associated with them, for phones it doesn't.
iPhone 6S Plus is...ok...but still an awkward mouthful, in my opinion.

Why doesn't it make sense to nix the numbering system like computers, cars, etc.?

runningtowin

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011

I disagree; I thought this with the iPhone (5) C and S before, but I think this would be a perfect time to have:

iPhone (2015)
iPhone+ (2015)

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm hoping they continue to make Plus models, but based on how the reception has been, it might not be something they continue to go through with outside of the impending spec refresh next year.

I think they can just call them "Plus" for whatever model is next, it doesn't make it a sexy name, but it's a functional name and it differentiates it enough that people won't get them confused for one another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.