Future iPhone possibilities...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DmbShn41, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

I'm sitting here admiring my iPhone 4, and thinking of how far it's come since the original iPhone. One thing that catches my attention is the glass back. Love it or hate it, it expands new possibilities. What if the a future iPhone had a touch sensitive rear that can be used to scroll? That way you can continue to view the entire screen without your thumb or finger blocking your view. Apple tends to open new doors rather than play catch up with useless features that other phones have. Thoughts?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I seem to remember seeing a patent post on this at some point in the last year.

4. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Then people would complain, "now I can't hold it the way I'm used to, I don't way to be told how to hold my phone!"

5. madforrit macrumors regular

Touch-sensitive back of phone has already been patented by Apple. While most of their patents never make it to products, I think it's safe to say if they can get it to function properly (e.g. distinguish a gesture from regular touching) I'm sure we will see this in the future. Whether it's iPhone 5 or iPhone 10, who knows.

6. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Perhaps the glass back is just a stepping stone to get people used to the back having the same setup as the front screen.

Although at this point, I'm more interested in a glasses-free 3D display like the 3DS has.

7. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I think with how far their cameras have come, they should make the phone so it can mount directly onto a tripod. That would be really nice.

8. n00basaur macrumors regular

9. SPeditor macrumors regular

I love that idea! Apple better make it happen before someone else does first.

I can see it now, the companies that make phone cases are saying "NOOOOooooo!" :)

10. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Doesn't the Motorola back flip do the rear touch thing?

11. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I think youre onto something...

Think about it... apple made the bumper(probably their first case that they really tried marketing). They have a patent on the rear touch screen... and have evolved to having glass on both sides. I bet they are working this out.

WOuld be cool to have webpage on front and have the rear back to the home screen or an open game or open music playing...sounds like a cool concept.

12. PantherJeep macrumors member

PantherJeep

Or even better: a phone with no "front" or "back". Whatever orientation it's held in (as determined by hand placement) becomes the "front" with multi-touch control/input via the back panel. This, among myriad other possibilities, would be super awesome. :D

13. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

Yep.
    Motorola backflip already has that.

14. DmbShn41 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe make the back like the front of a flip phone. Show status, who's calling, but then when you're using main screen, make the back touch sensitive.

15. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

They could just use the back for a notification system

16. gilbo macrumors member

i think that could b a possibility thus utilizing the gyroscope feature

in another post, i posted i thought another possibility would b

1.facetime on 3g and wifi
    2. group facetime

17. DmbShn41 thread starter macrumors 6502

Group FaceTime is a possibility, split the screen top and bottom. Or use the rear only for FaceTime, utilizing a higher quality camera. But that would limit it to wifi only, due to quality. I like these ideas...

18. gilbo macrumors member

group facetime i really think next iphone will have it, check you contacts in yur phone in edit mode and look at d bottom "linked contacts" wht other possible use

19. DmbShn41 thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you referring to 'Linkd'? Isnt that a social networking/my title is better than yours/look at all these people I know/sort of deal? That would be similiar to FaceBook integration with the Contacts on iPhone. I'm talking about the ability to call someone in, switch to FaceTime, then call another person, and all three can see each other, and 'FaceTime' at the same time?

If that ever worked, you think my wife would accept a call from me and my girlfriend?