Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am struggling to see what the point of super-fast LTE is when the telcos still saddle us with pitiful data caps. Sure, I can see and appreciate the jump from 3g to 4g, but beyond that? What use is being able to download a full-HD movie in seconds when it busts your data cap?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Apple Store said possibly better camera and ATT store thought water resistant 6 line. This could be called 6S. ATT store salesperson said maybe in three months. Are we talking a 6S by the start of school in the fall?

If there is to be an iPhone 7 with major changes I can't see that happening until well into 2016. What do you guys think?

I am new to iPhone so the 6+ is my baseline and I will be seeing changes before I can even access how great my 6+ is right now. The iPhone seems like such a huge task to learn just as it is from the store in the box without any new apps.
I think it's possible that the iPhone 6s be released by late August, as it would only be a bit sooner than the usual September launches (the iPhone 4s released four years ago was released in October, so maybe this time instead of after September, it will be before?). It could make sense since iOS 9 will most likely focus on bug fixes and improvements, so it might not take as long as iOS 7 with its redesign and iOS 8 with all of its features (hopefully). They might even take advantage of the extra time between late August and October to optimize the rumored split-screen feature for the iPad. But who knows? I do, however, see major changes until the iPhone 7 next year.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I think it's possible that the iPhone 6s be released by late August, as it would only be a bit sooner than the usual September launches (the iPhone 4s released four years ago was released in October, so maybe this time instead of after September, it will be before?). It could make sense since iOS 9 will most likely focus on bug fixes and improvements, so it might not take as long as iOS 7 with its redesign and iOS 8 with all of its features (hopefully). They might even take advantage of the extra time between late August and October to optimize the rumored split-screen feature for the iPad. But who knows? I do, however, see major changes until the iPhone 7 next year.

Is it possible that for the next five years the big push will be to keep the iOS versatile but be more user friendly?

I don't hear a lot of bad things about iPhone and the hardware but more and more there are complaints about each version of iOS becoming bloated and confused. The complaints sound a lot like the chattering that went on during the growth of Microsoft Windows.

I think at a certain point, MS Windows or later versions of iOS, that the huge success of the product makes developers pat each other on the back more and more and listen to user suggestions less and less. The arrogance of MS Windows led to stupid, ill advised incarnations like Windows ME and Windows Vista, and maybe Apple may be in for a fall with the next iOS versions. I don't attribute that to having Steve Jobs be out of the picture, but just human nature of getting complacent on the top. When you are the top consumer electronics company in the world, and richest company overall, what incentive is there to get better? Apple can put money into making sure nobody catches up but there is no target ahead of Apple that Apple is striving to catch up to. When that happens you lose your edge.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Is it possible that for the next five years the big push will be to keep the iOS versatile but be more user friendly?

I don't hear a lot of bad things about iPhone and the hardware but more and more there are complaints about each version of iOS becoming bloated and confused. The complaints sound a lot like the chattering that went on during the growth of Microsoft Windows.

I think at a certain point, MS Windows or later versions of iOS, that the huge success of the product makes developers pat each other on the back more and more and listen to user suggestions less and less. The arrogance of MS Windows led to stupid, ill advised incarnations like Windows ME and Windows Vista, and maybe Apple may be in for a fall with the next iOS versions. I don't attribute that to having Steve Jobs be out of the picture, but just human nature of getting complacent on the top. When you are the top consumer electronics company in the world, and richest company overall, what incentive is there to get better? Apple can put money into making sure nobody catches up but there is no target ahead of Apple that Apple is striving to catch up to. When that happens you lose your edge.
I think a lot of the complaints from iOS 8 will be addressed in iOS 9. I know for me there are some text glitches in the status bar, it gets bigger then goes back to normal. Sometimes the text will turn white. I still have some wi-fi glitches I didn't have in iOS 7 (I have to go to control center to turn off w-fi and back on again), and iTunes Wi-Fi sync stopped working for me in iOS 8. I think all of these issues will be addressed soon, but I hope that simplicity remains as one of their top priorities in future iOS versions.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
I am struggling to see what the point of super-fast LTE is when the telcos still saddle us with pitiful data caps. Sure, I can see and appreciate the jump from 3g to 4g, but beyond that? What use is being able to download a full-HD movie in seconds when it busts your data cap?
For those of us with unlimited data.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm with you, I'm sure many people would much rather have other features before thinking about water resistance. I wouldn't rule it out for the future, though.
I think there's definitely a case to be made for increased water resistance (as in, don't dunk it in the water, but most other water interaction is okay). Whatever they can do without interfering with other functions and features sounds good to me.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think there's definitely a case to be made for increased water resistance (as in, don't dunk it in the water, but most other water interaction is okay). Whatever they can do without interfering with other functions and features sounds good to me.
This. I am all for extra water resistance, but if it means having ugly flaps over the ports and the like, then forget about it.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
-A9 chip(I think they'll be stuck on 20nm as opposed to moving to 16 or even 14?)
-2GB LDRR4 RAM
-16, 64 and 128GB options
-Force touch
-4K video recording
-12MP camera

I personally hope for better battery life though.

I concur 100%. A10 is 14nm. It will be in the next version. iPhone 7, or even simply, "iPhone." Most likely 7, IMO. The A9 is a very nice chip even at 20nm. Especially with graphics on the 6s+. Just my opinion, but I think the 6s is going to have many new innards. I believe there has also been some significant internal chassis redesign to increase stiffness. :apple:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I concur 100%. A10 is 14nm. It will be in the next version. iPhone 7, or even simply, "iPhone." Most likely 7, IMO. The A9 is a very nice chip even at 20nm. Especially with graphics on the 6s+. Just my opinion, but I think the 6s is going to have many new innards. I believe there has also been some significant internal chassis redesign to increase stiffness. :apple:
Whatever the A9 and A10 chips' nanometer sizes might be, I'm looking forward to the battery efficiency they will bring. The iPhone 6's 20nm power efficiency went mostly to the larger display, but now that it probably won't go any bigger, it will surely mean better battery life in the next iPhones.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
-A9 chip(I think they'll be stuck on 20nm as opposed to moving to 16 or even 14?)
-2GB LDRR4 RAM
-16, 64 and 128GB options
-Force touch
-4K video recording
-12MP camera

I personally hope for better battery life though.

They have shrunken the process every single generation. They aren't going to skip out on it for this one. And if you want better battery life, your wish will not be granted if they keep the same architecture. Just saying.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
They have shrunken the process every single generation. They aren't going to skip out on it for this one. And if you want better battery life, your wish will not be granted if they keep the same architecture. Just saying.
No they haven't actually. Oh and you don't just increase efficiency by shrinking the process it's built on. No one single variable can give a significant boost to battery.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
A faster charging battery would be great, I can see them implementing that feature soon, especially since many competitors already have.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Agreed. The A10 is 14nm. Some runs are already complete. As Intel will admit 14nm is a challenge above all previous Nanoimprint Lithography.
Samsung's 14nm process is making very good progress. Much better than TSMC. Apple released a while back that Samsung and Global Foundries would Fab the A10.
Hopefully thing's are on track. I'm very optimistic. Apple's Chip Design Team in Orlando are some of the best in the industry. I'm not even close to being an Apple Watch lover. However, I must admit the S1, even at 28nm, is very impressive. :apple:

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Whatever the A9 and A10 chips' nanometer sizes might be, I'm looking forward to the battery efficiency they will bring. The iPhone 6's 20nm power efficiency went mostly to the larger display, but now that it probably won't go any bigger, it will surely mean better battery life in the next iPhones.

See above. :rolleyes:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Agreed. The A10 is 14nm. Some runs are already complete. As Intel will admit 14nm is a challenge above all previous Nanoimprint Lithography.
Samsung's 14nm process is making very good progress. Much better than TSMC. Apple released a while back that Samsung and Global Foundries would Fab the A10.
Hopefully thing's are on track. I'm very optimistic. Apple's Chip Design Team in Orlando are some of the best in the industry. I'm not even close to being an Apple Watch lover. However, I must admit the S1, evan at 20nm, is very impressive. :apple:
Actually, I believe the S1 is 28nm.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Yes. You are correct. Thank you. ;)
Yeah, don't worry :)
I wonder if the reason for it being 28nm is because they started the development back in 2013 or if they held back on 20nm so that the 2nd generation Apple Watch can have significantly better battery life than the current one? If the next chip is 14nm, it should have much better battery life!

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Yeah, don't worry :)
I wonder if the reason for it being 28nm is because they started the development back in 2013 or if they held back on 20nm so that the 2nd generation Apple Watch can have significantly better battery life than the current one? If the next chip is 14nm, it should have much better battery life!
It would be leaps and bounds better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.