Future iPhone upgrades for existing iPhone (contract) owners?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iguanarama, Oct 21, 2007.

1. iguanarama macrumors member

Hi all,

Is there any indication of whether, when a newer iPhone is available (likely next year at some point), people with current iPhones who are obviously still on their contract will be able to upgrade somehow?

I'm wondering, for example, whether people who have more than X months to go on their contract will be able to just buy the new iPhone, and others will have to extend their contract somehow.

(Also curious as to whether this type of situation will differ between, say, the US and the UK; I'm in the latter.)

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I think you bring up a good argument, and at this point I'm not sure, but I can see Apple doing something nice for the early adopters who want to switch over to the newer device. I think the thing that'll Keep the iPhones from getting old is the fact that all the features are software based, so even if your iPhone is outdated, it'll still be able to do most of what the newer one has to offer...

this is all speculation of course, hehe.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yes of course.
    You will be able to buy a new model iPhone, activate it, and you will have a 2 year contract start from that day. It would be no different if you were to buy an iPhone today. There is no subsidy from ATT for the phone. They just want to keep you locked in for 2 years.

4. btallada9870 macrumors member

Hmm...i don't know. I was an exsting AT&T customer and when i bought the iphone I thought i was going to have my contract extended but i'm up for an upgrade in february. I guess it never got extended.

5. Icebird macrumors member

Yeah, this is exactly what they did when I was under Sprint. They extended it 2 more years after I got a new model of the Treo. If you change anything usually to your plan, even adding a new line, they will add another 2 years from that date. You have to be really careful.

6. Twinkie macrumors regular

AT&T changed how they deal with upgrades a while ago.

The time you're eligible for an upgrade doesn't necessarily correlate with when your contract is up. (e.g., some people can upgrade after 12 months, some can't upgrade after 24)

7. vitasenza macrumors member

Yeah I was able to a free razr v3xx from att even after buying the iPhone at launch, I think I was elegible for an upgrade before the iPhone came out but I just never got around to doing it, and since I was still able to use the upgrade option I decided to get another phone that I could swap sims with when carrying the iPhone around would be a little less than safe.

8. smgirish macrumors newbie

Any Info on iphone Gen 2 yet?

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about when apple will offer what I'm sure is in the warehouse, or at least in development. iPhone Generation 2. Anyone?

9. roblawton macrumors 6502

Steve Jobs has already been quoted saying 'We've already got people working on the next one, and people looking at what we're doing with the one after that'

Of course apple are going to make a new/better version of the iPhone, but personally, I don't mind sticking with the first one, as I can't see them releasing a Gen2 iPhone till at least Q4 '08

10. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Oh that sounds like the note of a wishful thinker.

Apple's not getting into phones to just dabble, and capture 1% of the market, no matter what Job's has to say publicly.

They're out for blood and they've just had the first taste with the initial success of mark 1. Mark 2 is coming 1st half of 08.

I expect mark 2 to refine and set the standard against mid range phones as mark 1 has shown smartphones to be the crud that they truly are. I'll not mention mark 3, coming early 09, but i'm sure you get the picture.

M. :D