Future jailbreak-ability of iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bendrucker, May 6, 2010.

1. bendrucker macrumors newbie

I currently have an iPhone 3GS (16GB) on 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n. I use the jailbreak exclusively for tethering my iPhone to my MacBook Pro and my iPad. I also like running apps like Pandora in the background, but since that will be a native feature in the summer, it's not a big deal.

Assuming Apple works out some sort of contractual deal with AT&T as it did last time, such that people who were not up for a new contract could purchase the iPhone 3GS for a price somewhere in between the full retail price and the bottom-end, new contract price, I'd like to get whatever iPhone that comes out. Right now, relatively good condition 16GB 3GSs are selling for around $400 on eBay if they are jailbroken and unlocked. At this price, I could potentially buy whatever new iPhone came out for maybe $100 or so, or maybe even break even completely.

That all depends, however, on my iPhone being jailbreak-able and unlock-able. My iPhone isn't in the greatest condition. There are some vertical scratches on the back from a Griffin case which ruined the back, and there are two hairline scratches on the screen which do exhibit color distortion depending on what the screen displays. The phone is perfectly usable and the defects are basically cosmetic, but it certainly won't be the most desirable phone on eBay.

Here's my question: If I'm able to get a new phone under AppleCare as a result of breaking the vibrate switch off the phone, is it reasonably safe that I'll be able to jailbreak it in the future? I know at some point the newer 3GSs couldn't be jailbroken. Is the same hardware change that prevented that potentially going to prevent that in the future? Also, is there a way to carrier unlock under Spirit or no?

Basically, I want to be as sure as possible that I'd be able to jailbreak and unlock a refurb iPhone 3GS if I got one soon and then wanted to sell it in July or whenever the newest iPhone comes out.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wow

that was a long winded question! take better care of your phone and you won't have these problems. I will tell you that buying Apple care will most likely cost you more then you will loose on the phone. but I'm not helping you rip Apple off!

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

you'll be able to jailbreak since spirit was released. It probably won't be "pwned for life" since spirit is not a userland exploit, so a jailbreak for future OSs might be questionable. With that said, I think the devs are sitting on some exploits still, so you'd be set for a few firmwares.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

But, if you get your SHSH on file now, you will always be able to downgrade to 3.1.3 and use Spirit.

5. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

But the OP's question was related to refurb/replacement phones that won't have SHSH's on file.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Well if he does it sooner or later, he can still go and get those SHSHs, since Apple didn't release 3.1.4 or anything.

7. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Yes, get the new phone straight away while 3.1.3 (and previous) versions are jb'able and get the SHSH blob on file. He might even luck out and get an older OS, but doubtful at this point.

8. bendrucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone who posted helpful responses! If I can do it today, I'm going to go get an appointment at the Genius Bar.

9. Makanmata macrumors member

The information I have gathered is that 3.1.3 is definitely still jailbreakable. The question I have is whether or not it can still be unlocked. Can somebody please clarify this point for me? I had a crash and wound up having to upgrade my jailbroken/unlocked phone, and I would very much like to be able to unlock it again so as to be able to use it with local sim cards when I travel. Thanks.

10. bendrucker thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I went and got a new phone today. Apple was willing to replace it based on the fact that I had dust under my screen. The jailbreak worked fine as expected. I'll have to hold out hope that I'll be able to unlock when and if it comes time to sell the phone.