Future Mac owner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tmartin2347, Jan 14, 2011.

1. tmartin2347 macrumors member

tmartin2347

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148a)

Ive owned multiple iPods and on my 2nd iPhone, but am getting the itch to jump from PC to Mac very soon.
    This winter so far I've geared up with a 2nd generation apple tv, and the airport extreme.
    I'm hoping within the next 6 months to either own a iMac or MacBook pro.
    Anyone have suggestions on what I should go with from past experience. I love laptops cause of their portability, but at the same time think having a 27" iMac would be amazing, especially since I like photography.

So if anyone wants to share some advice that would be greatly appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Other than the mobility issue, what is your budget?

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Why not get a Macbook Pro and an external monitor. You can use whatever monitor you used with your PC as an external monitor with an inexpensive display port to vga adapter. That's what I do. I have a Samsung syncmaster 171s but when I'm able to afford it, I'd like a 23 in monitor capable of 1600 x 1200.

There are quite a few 1080p monitors around these days so I might compromise on the vertical resolution to save money because 1920 horizontal is plenty for me to work on two documents side by side.

I have a white Macbook and its Applecare will be running out in a few weeks. I suppose I might replace it. Then again, perhaps I'll wait until right after Apple releases some new hotness.

Keep an eye on the Macrumors Buyers' Guides. They let you know whether a product is "stale" and about to be replaced. As Apple almost always provides desirable upgrades with every new hardware release, it's best to avoid buying at the end of a product cycle unless you simply can't wait.

hope this helps...

4. tmartin2347 thread starter macrumors member

tmartin2347

I really don't like having a budge when it comes to tech gear, but I'm thinking in between 2500-3000.

5. tmartin2347 thread starter macrumors member

tmartin2347

Someone I work with mentioned getting a MBP and then getting an external monitor, I think that might just be what I get.

Now it's to choose between the 13", and the 15" MBP. I would go with 17" like my current dell inspiron 9300 but I think for portability I'm going to shrink it down a bit.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'd go with a 15" MBP, the 13" historically hasn't had a dedicated GPU.

7. tmartin2347 thread starter macrumors member

tmartin2347

Thanks.

Think I should wait till the fall to see if any new upgrades come out?

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I don't think you'll have to wait that long, but Sandy Bridge is a pretty good improvement (especially CPU-wise) over previous Intel Core processors. And Apple will (hopefully) introduce a new GPU to replace the aging 330M.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I think so. The current hardware will not limit you in any way, but with the update coming very soon, why not wait a bit.

10. tom.96 Suspended

Good luck with your new Mac! I've got an iMac and Macbook and both are great. If I had to choose I would go with a portable purely down to the versatility.

If someone is carrying it around a lot and doesn't need a hugely powerful system I would go for a Macbook Air with an external screen. If you prefer a slightly heavier machine but more power then a MB pro with external screen would be awesome.

Either way you'll have a brilliant machine.

11. Synthion macrumors regular

Get a an i5 15" MacBook Pro with 2.53 GHz, and a good, (non-apple), monitor. That thing has the body of a laptop, but the soul of gaming rig.

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I do serious photography and I love the versatility and power of my 15" MBP and high end external monitor. If you do a lot of photography and photo editing you might find a non-glossy monitor is better. I did have a 27" iMac and 13" MBP but sold them for what's in my signature