Future Mac Pro Predictions

Aztech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
8
0
Heya all... iv got a friend who just put some doubt in my mind about my upcoming purchase of a MAC PRO, im planning at current to buy one this coming september ready for the new university year.

Unfortunately he believes that due to the graphics card, chipset and a few other things in the Pro, that a slight overhaul will be coming with the new operating system (around October)...

Could someone, preferably a lot of people tell me weather they agree with this, cus i really really dont wanna have to wait a month to buy it ! lol (im not impatient, just really really want it lol !)
 

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Unfortunately he believes that due to the graphics card, chipset and a few other things in the Pro, that a slight overhaul will be coming with the new operating system (around October)...
I guess its possible that Apple will update the Pro around the same time as they release 10.5, but not because the current pro can't handle Leopard. Leopard looks to have some nice features but from what I've read nothing that an Intel iMac can't handle. A new CPU, chipset and graphics card; It's not like we're upgrading to Vista
 

hugodrax

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
895
140
Heya all... iv got a friend who just put some doubt in my mind about my upcoming purchase of a MAC PRO, im planning at current to buy one this coming september ready for the new university year.

Unfortunately he believes that due to the graphics card, chipset and a few other things in the Pro, that a slight overhaul will be coming with the new operating system (around October)...

Could someone, preferably a lot of people tell me weather they agree with this, cus i really really dont wanna have to wait a month to buy it ! lol (im not impatient, just really really want it lol !)
There is going to be an overhaul with the new Penryn CPUs which include 50 new SSE instructions, Enhanced VT which will improve virtualization 25-75%, improved Division hardware. I would say a good amount of enhancements coming down the line.
 

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
1,177
2
is a state of mind.
As with most things I would wait as long as you can. If you have a machine to get you by, just continue to use it. There *may* be an upgrade in the future, but it won't blow the doors off of the current machines. It isn't in the manufacture's (ie Apple's) best interest to have large hardware jumps, they'd rather milk you for every $$$.

I was in a similar situation about 6 months ago. I bought a MacPro then and I'm delighted that I did. Your mileage may vary...
 

EvilDoc

macrumors 6502a
There is no doubt in my mind that the Mac pro will be upgraded, its more of a question of when. You can wait, but there is always an upgrade around the corner or a new system coming out, its inevitable..
 

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2005
174
0
My prediction is somehow this thread is going to turn quickly into "I am waiting" vs "Buy now" flame war.
 

Evergreen

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
81
0
Apple is getting serious about gaming, which means that better vid cards are a certainty.
 

Dreamail

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
377
31
Beyond
The 'waiting list' so far

Researched this very issue a lot in recent days as I'm also thinking of getting a Mac Pro. Here's what I found out:

- New graphic cards could very well be waiting for Leopard (OpenGL implementation) which won't happen before end of October (knowing Apple)

- New Penryn based CPUs will bring 10-35% performance boost depending on your application, 35% for ones which use the new SSE4 instructions.
Scheduled arrival date somewhen between now and end of the year.

- New Intel chipset (Stoakley platform, Seaburg memory controller) which features faster bus speeds and PCI Express 2.
Scheduled arrival date ca. November 2007.


So pick your choice.
Will Apple update in October together with Leopard?
Will they wait for better CPUs?
Or will they wait for better CPUs and a better chipset?

My guess is that we'll see an update somewhen around mid November with new OS, new CPUs and new chipset. If not in November, then likely in January or February 2008.

There is a slight chance that Apple might lower the prices and perhaps introduce new GPUs end of July / beginning of August. But if that doesn't happen the next update slot is mid November IMHO.
 

Octobot

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
234
0
MPx12
Some more news..

Since the other thread is closed.. ( 2007 Stoakley-Seaburg Motherboard With New Graphics Cards 8-Core Mac Pro) .. because of all that yammering.

Here a little more news on the penryn development..
"Intel prices its first 45nm processor at US$999, to hit the market in 4Q"

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070719PD203.html
 

superlatic

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
185
0
Leeds, UK
if the mac pro received an incremental update round about the intel price cuts, as in

- get rid of the 2.0ghz option and have dual 2.66 as the lowest option
-2GB Ram in stock option
- Better graphics cards

I would buy

definately think something is needed to tide buyers over untill new chipset/penryn is introduced
 

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
151
0
in the cubicles
There is going to be an overhaul with the new Penryn CPUs which include 50 new SSE instructions, Enhanced VT which will improve virtualization 25-75%, improved Division hardware. I would say a good amount of enhancements coming down the line.
and how much faster than the current mac pro's do you expect them to be ?
 

Spikeanator6982

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
328
0
i obviously dont have any proof on this..just a guess but i could see Apple update there computer line right before leopard comes out. people will buy the computer then "have" to buy leopard when it comes out.

I am "waiting" bc i currently dont have enough saved up for a new computer, but i should have enough by around october. so i obviously dont NEED it currently. like many people say, need it buy it, dont need dont buy unless u want to. :)

Brad
 

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
1,898
104
Cesspool
I think upping the stock ram to 2gigs is a must the MBP line got it with the SR update.

I read that intel plans to release some of the penry line before Q4 maybe apple is getting them early as a release with leopard


Regardless of what happens by mid-august I will be buying a mac pro. If apple doesn't drop prices on the processors following intel I'll go for the lowest available and upgrade myself for cheaper.
 

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
5,212
0
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
August 7 is Mac Pro's First Anniversary - 8-Core Went Refurb Yesterday $3,399.00

The 453 Post Stoakley-Seaburg thread will be reopened Sunday morning. Blue-Velvet thought it would be a good idea for a 48 hour cooling off period. I think we have to watch out for being baited by 8-core owners who like to gloat and are interested in interfering with our civil talks.

None of us can really predict when what changes are going to happen. At his point I don't have a problem waiting for Harpertown in Stoakley perhaps as long as early next year if not in November.

In any event, there is a ton of reading you can do on that thread that will serve to further confuse anyone who is wondering when to buy what.

Note that, after little more than 100 days,the 3GHz 8-cores just went refurb yesterday for the first time and are priced at $3,399 - only $100 more than the 3GHz 4-core refurb. This pricing may portend more price shifting-power increasing soon. But we're all just guessing based on little evidence since this is a new line dependent on Intel's ability to ship improvements on time in quantity to Apple as well as all the other customers in their food chain.

4GB of RAM (2x2GB) is now only $300. So you can now build a 9GB 8-Core Mac Pro for only $3,999.00

The rule would be that if you must buy a Mac Pro before there is a material improvement in the current line, then buy it from the refurb page. Don't see the model you want? Wait. Check back and you will see a consistent pattern that all current models return to the refurb page in time. Just be patient and ready with the money and check that page frequently. There's no point in paying more for new than what you pay for a refurb. Plus often times you will get a refurb with more RAM and bigger HDs than what they say it will be.
 

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
657
0
The 453 Post Stoakley-Seaburg thread will be reopened Sunday morning. Blue-Velvet thought it would be a good idea for a 48 hour cooling off period. I think we have to watch out for being baited by 8-core owners who like to gloat and are interested in interfering with our civil talks.

None of us can really predict when what changes are going to happen. At his point I don't have a problem waiting for Harpertown in Stoakley perhaps as long as early next year if not in November.

In any event, there is a ton of reading you can do on that thread that will serve to further confuse anyone who is wondering when to buy what.

Note that, after little more than 100 days,the 3GHz 8-cores just went refurb yesterday for the first time and are priced at $3,399 - only $100 more than the 3GHz 4-core refurb. This pricing may portend more price shifting-power increasing soon. But we're all just guessing based on little evidence since this is a new line dependent on Intel's ability to ship improvements on time in quantity to Apple as well as all the other customers in their food chain.

4GB of RAM (2x2GB) is now only $300. So you can now build a 9GB 8-Core Mac Pro for only $3,999.00

The rule would be that if you must buy a Mac Pro before there is a material improvement in the current line, then buy it from the refurb page. Don't see the model you want? Wait. Check back and you will see a consistent pattern that all current models return to the refurb page in time. Just be patient and ready with the money and check that page frequently. There's no point in paying more for new than what you pay for a refurb. Plus often times you will get a refurb with more RAM and bigger HDs than what they say it will be.

Can you apply student's discount on refurb models?
 

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
151
0
in the cubicles
Seriously, only if you do video editing with FCS and CS3 the new SS chipset might be worth the wait.
so , for someone who think's photoshop elements is a heavy duty program , i may be ok ? :)

i reckon the most processor intensive program i'm likely to use in the next few years is leopard's finder..

maybe i shoulda bought a mac mini after all ? :D
 

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2005
174
0
I have used final cut pro on a macbook for editing. It would do the job but once you add transitions, font effects ....etc the machine became unbearable.

For a typical indie production like mine, we use extensive Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack for audio, Color or Magic Bullet, After Effects, Photoshop for graphics, posters ...etc. Every single minute saved in rendering means a lot !

Unfortunately Apple abandoned us, their MAIN CORE CUSTOMERS to satisfy the consumer market (ipod, iphone ...etc).





so , for someone who think's photoshop elements is a heavy duty program , i may be ok ? :)

i reckon the most processor intensive program i'm likely to use in the next few years is leopard's finder..

maybe i shoulda bought a mac mini after all ? :D
 

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
3,105
234
By going into the refurb page from the student store you can get student pricing for Applecare. The refurb prices are already less than the student discount prices.
those refurbs going on sale I think is a good sign.

if you really sit back and think about it, they pretty much have to release SOMETHING before september.

I mean, no serious updates for a year, people are gonna think they've abandoned the line :)