Future Mac Pro Predictions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Aztech, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Aztech macrumors newbie

Heya all... iv got a friend who just put some doubt in my mind about my upcoming purchase of a mac pro, im planning at current to buy one this coming september ready for the new university year.

Unfortunately he believes that due to the graphics card, chipset and a few other things in the Pro, that a slight overhaul will be coming with the new operating system (around October)...

Could someone, preferably a lot of people tell me weather they agree with this, cus i really really dont wanna have to wait a month to buy it ! lol (im not impatient, just really really want it lol !)

2. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I guess its possible that Apple will update the Pro around the same time as they release 10.5, but not because the current pro can't handle Leopard. Leopard looks to have some nice features but from what I've read nothing that an Intel iMac can't handle. A new CPU, chipset and graphics card; It's not like we're upgrading to Vista

3. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

There is going to be an overhaul with the new Penryn CPUs which include 50 new SSE instructions, Enhanced VT which will improve virtualization 25-75%, improved Division hardware. I would say a good amount of enhancements coming down the line.

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

As with most things I would wait as long as you can. If you have a machine to get you by, just continue to use it. There *may* be an upgrade in the future, but it won't blow the doors off of the current machines. It isn't in the manufacture's (ie Apple's) best interest to have large hardware jumps, they'd rather milk you for every $$$.

I was in a similar situation about 6 months ago. I bought a MacPro then and I'm delighted that I did. Your mileage may vary...

5. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

There is no doubt in my mind that the Mac pro will be upgraded, its more of a question of when. You can wait, but there is always an upgrade around the corner or a new system coming out, its inevitable..

6. Alpinism macrumors regular

My prediction is somehow this thread is going to turn quickly into "I am waiting" vs "Buy now" flame war.

7. CyberPrey macrumors regular

I agree..
    My two bits? buy it if you want it, wait if you want to... either way, I'm working on MY Mac Pro and enjoying it....

8. Evergreen macrumors member

Evergreen

Apple is getting serious about gaming, which means that better vid cards are a certainty.

9. Dreamail macrumors 6502

The 'waiting list' so far

Researched this very issue a lot in recent days as I'm also thinking of getting a Mac Pro. Here's what I found out:

- New graphic cards could very well be waiting for Leopard (OpenGL implementation) which won't happen before end of October (knowing Apple)

- New Penryn based CPUs will bring 10-35% performance boost depending on your application, 35% for ones which use the new SSE4 instructions.
    Scheduled arrival date somewhen between now and end of the year.

- New Intel chipset (Stoakley platform, Seaburg memory controller) which features faster bus speeds and PCI Express 2.
    Scheduled arrival date ca. November 2007.

So pick your choice.
    Will Apple update in October together with Leopard?
    Will they wait for better CPUs?
    Or will they wait for better CPUs and a better chipset?

My guess is that we'll see an update somewhen around mid November with new OS, new CPUs and new chipset. If not in November, then likely in January or February 2008.

There is a slight chance that Apple might lower the prices and perhaps introduce new GPUs end of July / beginning of August. But if that doesn't happen the next update slot is mid November IMHO.

10. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

Some more news..

Since the other thread is closed.. ( 2007 Stoakley-Seaburg Motherboard With New Graphics Cards 8-Core Mac Pro) .. because of all that yammering.

Here a little more news on the penryn development..
    "Intel prices its first 45nm processor at US$999, to hit the market in 4Q"

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070719PD203.html

11. superlatic macrumors regular

if the mac pro received an incremental update round about the intel price cuts, as in

- get rid of the 2.0ghz option and have dual 2.66 as the lowest option
    -2GB Ram in stock option
    - Better graphics cards

I would buy

definately think something is needed to tide buyers over untill new chipset/penryn is introduced

12. flappo macrumors regular

and how much faster than the current mac pro's do you expect them to be ?

13. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

i obviously dont have any proof on this..just a guess but i could see Apple update there computer line right before leopard comes out. people will buy the computer then "have" to buy leopard when it comes out.

I am "waiting" bc i currently dont have enough saved up for a new computer, but i should have enough by around october. so i obviously dont NEED it currently. like many people say, need it buy it, dont need dont buy unless u want to. :)

Brad

14. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I think upping the stock ram to 2gigs is a must the MBP line got it with the SR update.

I read that intel plans to release some of the penry line before Q4 maybe apple is getting them early as a release with leopard

Regardless of what happens by mid-august I will be buying a mac pro. If apple doesn't drop prices on the processors following intel I'll go for the lowest available and upgrade myself for cheaper.

15. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

August 7 is Mac Pro's First Anniversary - 8-Core Went Refurb Yesterday $3,399.00

The 453 Post Stoakley-Seaburg thread will be reopened Sunday morning. Blue-Velvet thought it would be a good idea for a 48 hour cooling off period. I think we have to watch out for being baited by 8-core owners who like to gloat and are interested in interfering with our civil talks.

None of us can really predict when what changes are going to happen. At his point I don't have a problem waiting for Harpertown in Stoakley perhaps as long as early next year if not in November.

In any event, there is a ton of reading you can do on that thread that will serve to further confuse anyone who is wondering when to buy what.

Note that, after little more than 100 days,the 3GHz 8-cores just went refurb yesterday for the first time and are priced at $3,399 - only $100 more than the 3GHz 4-core refurb. This pricing may portend more price shifting-power increasing soon. But we're all just guessing based on little evidence since this is a new line dependent on Intel's ability to ship improvements on time in quantity to Apple as well as all the other customers in their food chain.

4GB of RAM (2x2GB) is now only $300. So you can now build a 9GB 8-Core Mac Pro for only $3,999.00

The rule would be that if you must buy a Mac Pro before there is a material improvement in the current line, then buy it from the refurb page. Don't see the model you want? Wait. Check back and you will see a consistent pattern that all current models return to the refurb page in time. Just be patient and ready with the money and check that page frequently. There's no point in paying more for new than what you pay for a refurb. Plus often times you will get a refurb with more RAM and bigger HDs than what they say it will be.

16. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Can you apply student's discount on refurb models?

17. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Refurb prices match or beat education prices.

18. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Refurb Prices Are Below Student Pricing Already

By going into the refurb page from the student store you can get student pricing for Applecare. The refurb prices are already less than the student discount prices.

19. Alpinism macrumors regular

Faster than your "OUTDATED & OLD" Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gigs - 750 - X1900XT :D :D :D :D :D :D

20. flappo macrumors regular

ah well , it was fun being on the cutting edge for fifteen minutes

21. Alpinism macrumors regular

Seriously, only if you do video editing with FCS and CS3 the new SS chipset might be worth the wait.

22. flappo macrumors regular

so , for someone who think's photoshop elements is a heavy duty program , i may be ok ? :)

i reckon the most processor intensive program i'm likely to use in the next few years is leopard's finder..

maybe i shoulda bought a mac mini after all ? :D

23. Alpinism macrumors regular

I have used final cut pro on a macbook for editing. It would do the job but once you add transitions, font effects ....etc the machine became unbearable.

For a typical indie production like mine, we use extensive Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack for audio, Color or Magic Bullet, After Effects, Photoshop for graphics, posters ...etc. Every single minute saved in rendering means a lot !

Unfortunately Apple abandoned us, their MAIN CORE CUSTOMERS to satisfy the consumer market (ipod, iphone ...etc).

24. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

No

25. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

those refurbs going on sale I think is a good sign.

if you really sit back and think about it, they pretty much have to release SOMETHING before september.

I mean, no serious updates for a year, people are gonna think they've abandoned the line :)