Future Macbook Pro Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jz-, Nov 13, 2013.

?

What graphics card will Apple choose for next year's Macbook Pro line?

Poll closed Nov 20, 2013.
  1. All 15" with Intel graphics only

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. All 15" with NVIDIA Graphics

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. All 15" with AMD Graphics

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. 15" with optional dGPU

14 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. 15" with iGPU only, 17" with dGPU

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 14" with iGPU only, 15" with dGPU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 13" and 15" both with dGPU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. None of the above

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. jz- macrumors regular

At the moment, Apple has two distinct 15" Macbook Pros - 11,2 with Intel Iris Pro Graphics only, and 11,3 with Intel and NVIDIA graphics. Next year, both Intel and NVIDIA claim to have big improvements ready for their graphics.

Whose graphics do you think Apple will choose (not: what would you prefer) for the next refresh of the Macbook Pros? Or will they continue both the integrated and discrete lines of the 15"?

2. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

You really should clean up the poll options here, because the way you've got it right now, the data would be even more meaningless than it would be otherwise. They're not mutually exclusive. Making matters worse, you conflated the separate issue of screen size offerings with dGPU offerings.

3. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Which graphics increases do you speak of? Intel's chip next year will be broadwell which following Intel's tick-tock strategy, will mean an architecture change and some efficiency changes.

Skylake which is due in Q2/Q3 2015 is what you should be waiting for, that will have DDR4 and PCIE 4.0.

I would buy MBP now and sell in 2 years time.

4. jz- thread starter macrumors regular

The screen sizes are there because I think it's possible that a new size could be introduced to avoid having two models with the same screen. Some of the options are more general, but as far as I can see they are mutually exclusive, and making them more specific would create a bigger mess of options.

5. -Eden macrumors member

-Eden

Some of the poll options are a bit out to lunch..

1) No indication of a 14" Macbook
    2) 13" will never get a GPU
    3) 17" will not likely be coming back
    There are two models with the exact same screen. The "low end" 15" rMBP, and the "high end" 15" rMBP.

6. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I have a decade of experience in market research. This is atrocious.

----------

The entire thing is out to lunch, and never coming back.

7. jz-, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

jz- thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm sorry, but not everyone can have a decade of experience in everything. I was just curious to see what people thought was going to happen, and included a few more options than was necessary. I don't need to collect data for any particular purpose, and if some of the options are redundant, they can be ignored.

I added the 14" option because of the rumours of a 12" Macbook. I don't believe the 13" will ever get a dGPU, but there are definitely some people who want it, and maybe some who think it will happen.

8. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

12" makes sense for the Air line because it would replace both the 11" and 13", but there's no way a 14" would come to the Pro line. 13" and 15" are here to stay.

10. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Yes!

Thank you! I casted my vote for 17" w/ dedicated graphics thank you very much for having that option. So I don't feel left out ^_^