Future MacBook Pro Screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Sep 18, 2009.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I was just looking around at some of the newer PC laptops coming out and they all seem to be 16x9 aspect ratio now. Granted, most if not all of the "business" or "pro" sectors for Dell, HP, ect still have 16x10 screens. There was a lot of rumor about this last year before the MBP Unibody was released... Does anyone know if LG would have a 16x9 type screen to fit in the MBP? I am just curious because I really like the 15" but not with a 1440x900 resolution. If they offered a 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 I would buy it in a heartbeat. Having used both aspect ratio's and seeing the industry "shift" I was curious if you thought this was something Apple would eventually do seeing as they like to blur the pro/consumer/media laptop line now.

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

they will probably shift to the 16x9 screens and tell us about how great they are.

many will complain and some will give in and purchase

6 months later they will post an option to pay an extra $50 to get a 16x10 screen

/bitter
    /sarcasm

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Personally I would not prefer a 16x9 screen, although higher resolution would always be welcome. I seriously doubt you will get 1920x(anything) on a 15" Apple even though I would prefer this as well.

Also I'm not sure a move to 16x9 would be a good thing. If they shrank the depth of the laptop because of the narrower screen it would compromise the keyboard and/or trackpad. This would not be a good thing. I think if they just enlarged the bezel size it would look funny.

4. sahnjuro macrumors member

the aspect ratio of notebook displays is a contentious issue in some circle, somewhat similar to matte vs glossy. some have bitterly complained about the loss of vertical pixels.

display makers prefer 16:9 ratio over 16:10 since they can cut out more lcd panels (due to a larger number of possible sliced rectangular panels given a larger, master panel). over on windows side, more and more notebooks are appearing with 16:9, which I think is unfortunate.

so far apple has kept the 16:10, though apple was one of the first to lead the transition to notebooks with wider screen from traditional 4:3 lcd's. the 15" powerbook g4 had something like 3:2 ratio, which popularized wider panels. it will all come down to Mr. Jobs who will call the shots on the aspect ratio of next gen macbook (pros)...

personally I would hope that the ratio would revert back to 3:2 since it gives more vertical pixels than 16:10, though it's less than traditional 4:3.