Future MBP 13": internal SSD + 2 HDDs?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DivineEvil, Nov 7, 2010.

?

Will you buy a MBP with SSD + 2HDDs and not SuperDrive

1. Yes!

22 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. Maybe!

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  3. NO!

21 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Sorry it's not a rumor or anything just my thoughts...

I just watched the video of Jony Eve about the MB Air and how cool it is. For me the Air is still underpowered laptop not worth the couple of pounds lighter than the MBP 13". I prefer to have as much as possible storage, power, battery and GPU. This make me thing how cool it would be if:
    a) They remove the SuperDrive and make it a Macbook Pro "Server". Yes I know, you can remove the ODD yourself (I did it already), but all those enclosures waste a lot of space...
    b) In the space that is still free after the 2nd HDD is in place they put one of those MB Air SSDs...

Will you buy one of those storage monsters :p. I will most definitely do, since I don't remember when was the last time I used my SuperDrive and I'm have only like 100 GB free from my total 1,14 TB on my MBP! Would love to have like 256 GB SSD + 2x1TB HDDs in a MBP 13" :p

2. applepearpp macrumors regular

why 2HDD if apple is pushing cloud? why not a stronger graphic card and/or cpu?

the super drive needs to go but two HDD is excessive

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Apple could do a lot of the things with that space.

I bet they'll use it towards an onboard/better graphics card. Either that, or the hardware necessary to run a light peak port. Maybe both.

Or maybe neither. Who knows?

That's the beauty of it...

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

^ This. Better graphics performance, better CPU cooling, and maybe a larger battery. Win!

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely wouldn't come standard like that. Apple would definitely put a discrete GPU in with a bigger battery before putting two hard drives in it. Maybe a hard drive + flash storage option, but I wouldn't imagine anything more than that.

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

2 hard drives just seems redundant, and it would make a very noisy laptop. With the focus on cloud computing and streaming, and falling ssd prices, two hdds doesn't make sense.

I think if/when Apple removes the optical drive, it's more likely they will make the battery larger, and shave off a bit of thickness.

I personally wouldn't mind it, I never use my optical drive, and I'm only using 20GB of my 80GB SSD (but I do have 2TB of networked storage at home). LoL, I would buy a 15" Air if such a thing existed.

7. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yea 2hdd is too much. I'd be happy if they took up the place for even more battery life better graphics

8. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

yeppp. i am hoping if they do that a bigger battery plus better gpu = same battery life as before.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

SSD and 1 HDD sound very possible.
    2HDDs never ever. They will use the space for anything else before putting in two HDDs.

10. MrChurchyard macrumors member

A notebook with SSD + 2 HDDs from a company that thinks 64GB are enough storage in a laptop is never going to happen.

Btw, we know from the Air how the future of MacBooks looks like. The room gained from removing the SuperDrive is going to be used to make it thinner/lighter or for a bigger battery.

To me, the interesting question is whether the SuperDrive or the hard disk is going to be left out first. Or both at the same time like for the Air. My bet's on the hard drive though, at least for the Pro. Flash storage is starting to become cheap and big storage. 2x256 GB sticks from Toshiba in the next revision of the MBP would be nice :)

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah, only one hard drive is needed. The extra space when the OD does can be put to much better use.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Cant make it any thinner because of how thick hdds are and the fact that the ethernet port...

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

A typical HDD is 9.5 mm thick if you ad 1/2 mm of case. You could make it 10.5 mm thick, thus you could eliminate about 2-3 mm from the bottom case. The lid can be thinner too.

14. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

1 SSD + 2 HDD's just makes no sense for the 13 inch model. It's not gonna have more than 1 hdd and that hdd will be in the form of ssd sticks

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

An HDD can by definition not be in the form of an SSD.
    It is very very unlikely that the remove all HDDs and use SSDs only like in the AIR. That is simply too little space for most people. It works with MBA because most people consider it as a second item not a primary machine; that doesn't hold for MBP & MB.
    They will make a hybrid version for MBP or stick with one 2,5" solution and nothing else.

There is no SSD only and no 2 HDD solution. These ideas are ridiculous.

16. keantan macrumors regular

I wonder if they would put a flash based storage drive (like on the MBA) as a boot disk in order to improve boot and standby times but leave a single HD in for massive storage (move the home folder and applications folder there) then you can potentially reduce disk access, improving batt life. Not difficult to implement and leave the boot disk as a hidden volume?

17. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

1 SSD-on-a-stick + just 1 HDD seems more likely.

Like on the CTO 27" iMac. (except the SSD not being a stick but a regular 2.5")

2 HDDs ---> not gonna happen.

On a sidenote, I see those ssd sticks becoming popular on PC notebooks too if Apple pushes them on every apple laptop.

18. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

You are just being pedantic.
    We'll see! My money is on SSD only for the 13 inch.

19. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Will you buy a MBP with SSD + 2HDDs and not SuperDrive?

No. Any suggested alternative to the Superdrive would dramatically increase the price of the MBP and would price many people out of Apple's targeted markets.

20. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Even battery or discrete gfx?

The MBP13 has been selling with virtually the same specs for a long time. The profit margins should be about ready for newer more expensive parts.

21. bigjobby, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

bigjobby macrumors 65816

I reckon so. As much as I would like the SuperDrive replaced, I just can't see Apple doing this until the competition catches up with their battery lives. Apple do like their margins (as most businesses do) and the SuperDrive is still a much cheaper 'filler' than more battery.

As for discrete gfx, I don't think they'll need that much more space for this but sacrificing the SuperDrive would probably free up too much space but I do think discrete gfx will come eventually when the engineering dept can magic up something.

Any price hike on the 13" would take it above psychological £1000 barrier (in the UK) and I just don't think many people would go for it especially for a 13" laptop.

This whole SuperDrive thing has been going on for a while and I can't see it going away anytime soon. Let's see if Apple can prove me wrong in the next few months eh.

22. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have 2, 500GB 7200rpm HDD's inside my MacBook, it isn't any more noiser than before. I use it as a TimeMachine drive and it spins up every hour unless I unmount it. I can't say I've ever really needed to unmount it.

23. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I feel the same way. The built-in flash and SSD would be enough in terms of storage. Let's use the ex-SuperDrive space for something different.

24. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I could possibly see one additional HDD, but not two. Would use too much battery power.

25. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Plus two hdd's are just going to chew up the battery life.

If anything I would guess Apple is going to push more SSD's once the price of these comes down, storage space will also go up.