Future MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by captainritalin, Mar 15, 2009.

1. captainritalin macrumors member

So I was wondering as when do you all see the !5 inchers getting upgraded?

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

A spec bump most likely next fall. Redesign not for a few more years...

3. James Cole macrumors 6502

How long did the last gen of Macbook Pro's lasted??? And I mean for the body shape... which I think started with the G4 processors.

4. captainritalin thread starter macrumors member

So you all dont think that they will get the battery life that the 17 incher has?

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Obviously not because in a 15" laptop even if they use the new battery technology the battery wont be as big. So it wont be much more than the 15" has now already.

6. Dreamail macrumors 6502

Some people, myself included, still hope that shortly after the introduction of Snow Leopard the MacBook Pros get a slight spec bump.

For the 15" one would hope a slightly higher screen resolution, something between what it is currently and the 17" resolution.
    I see this happen especially if Snow Leopard finally implements Resolution Independence.

There's also hope that the 15" might inherit the 17"s 8GB max RAM limit as the nVidia chipset supports it technically.

And last but not least the 17" might get a Blu-Ray drive as built-to-order option.
    Again, only if Snow Leopard supports Blu-Ray, which I kind of expect it does.

When will this happen?
    My guess: as early as June, as late as November 2009.

I think it will also depend on when Intel will deliver Nehalem notebook CPUs. If those are ready by January 2010 Apple might push the next small update forward to have a wider time gap to the Nehalem version.

7. captainritalin thread starter macrumors member

Its not that simple. The screen wont be as big and wont take up as much energy. So while it is true that it wont physically hold as much energy it will proportionally. If i am correct the previous 17 inch MBPs had the same battery life as the 15 MBPs. I am curious if the 15 will get the same battery design as the 17.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Snow Leopard is not expected to support Blu-ray. If it did, developers would have found hints of it by now.

9. captainritalin thread starter macrumors member

why isnt it going to support it? That doesnt make any sence to me.

10. bossxii macrumors 68000

Why would Apple build in Blu Ray which could take away from them locking you into purchasing/renting movies from iTunes? I'm fully aware people like choices and will still rent/buy Blue Ray but Apple introducing Blue Ray would seem to cut into their own sales, which usually doesn't make much sense for a company to do to themselves.

Apple loves their proprietary systems, this would go against their approach. They have not permitted several commonly used technologies in their products to keep people "focusing" on iTunes. iTunes is a HUGE cash cow for Apple, the longer they can delay technology that would deter from people using it the better it is for Apple.

11. captainritalin thread starter macrumors member

I understand that. But also what about the 15 inch macbook pro battery.

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why should they? That doesn't make sense to their business model.

Why should Apple pay Sony for hardware?

13. jagr200 macrumors member

Exactly. Sony owns the Blu-Ray label and technology so why would Apple want to give money to their competitor? If Apple was smart they would have gotten behind HD-DVD which was the far superior format it just didn't have the big backing of a huge corporation like Sony.

They battery is not going to be improved much. They could do it and make it like the 17" if they wanted. But thats one of the selling points of the 17" so whats the point? I would rather sell the more expensive unit which is the 17".

I don't know why Apple would do a redesign yet. They just finished this version. Ya Im sure they have a design team already going but there is no point in introducing a new product when one just came out and they are still paying advertising for the current version. I see a new MBP coming out in about 1.5 years or so. Just like the iPods.

14. Macmoney macrumors member

Macmoney

Apple drop the ball The new battery technology should have been
    scaleable to the 15inch. I should be able to send my late october MBP in for
    a upgrade for the newest battery technology.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, you shouldn't. That would be a very bad business practice.

16. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

True that. The day Apple adds Blu-ray is when ALL of the current people there just magically disappear.

17. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Tallest is right, check the developer beta, it doesn't support Blu-Ray however integrates better 1080p HD Video support into QuickTime and includes a method of embedding it into websites rather than having to use a pop out player.

It is that simple, the screen isn't the main drain on battery power, its the CPU and the Graphics Cards, thats why you can save over 1 hours power just trading down from the 9600 to the 9400 GPU. So if the 15" had the same new 17" battery design, it wouldn't make a difference.
    Theres no new battery technology, its just a reshaped battery which cant be removed making a bit of extra space which would usually be used for all the battery removal hardware, the 17" can do this because it has lots of extra free space around the logic board which the 15" doesn't have, if they did use the technology in the 15" i doubt it would extend the battery life by more than 30 mins.

What we really need are better GPU's.

18. Ploki macrumors 68020

proportionally its like this:
    mbp 17" has around 13k mAh, and 15" has approx 4,7k mAh..
    wait. thats not proportional AT ALL.

so.. 4,7mah = 4hours
    13mah = 8hours

id say screen light does take up some energy too

19. Macmoney macrumors member

Macmoney

Not in my eyes. Apple had knowledge of this technology
    in October when they release the 15inch. Bad business practice
    is not following the model of "cheaper and better" which apple fails at.