future newbie mac user

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ant69, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

Hi

im looking at buying my first mac shortly, a macbook 2.4 4gig and just have a couple of questions for existing users...... whats it like for casual gaming?? what kinda fps game have you run on it? (bootcamp or native?) - im guessing a pro would be better for gaming but i want the portability a macbook gives....

also, i currently have my itunes library on a windows pc - whats the easiest way to port this over to my new macbook (external hdd copy it over? - where does it go on the mac os)

been lurking around these forums for weeks - lots of useful info!!, thanks in advance! :)

Ant

2. o2xygen macrumors regular

Gaming is alright, dont expect to play amazing new games and good quality though. The only annoying thing is the small screen, I play the odd C&C from time to time and the small screen slightly annoys me. Transfering data over is easy, open ur itunes on windows and i think theres something called "consididate library", which copies all your music into organised folders in the "user/music/iTunes" folder. Copy the "iTunes" folder onto a external HDD and put the contents into the "user/music/iTunes" folder on your new mac.

I say if money isnt a factor, spring for the low end macbook pro. the 15inch isnt too big to kill portability. For me the price was way too high, being a university student in New Zealand the macbook pros are a bit more expensive than the U.S or U.K prices.

Enjoy your new mac, the aluminum models are very, very nice. Light, slim speedy.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah I mean if you wanna play games get a Playstation 3. These laptops are tight, love the aluminum body and black keyboard, looks slick.

4. vilim12 macrumors regular

Games play pretty decent if you ask me, just waiting to get GTA IV and if that plays nice ill be happy lol. But idk why everyone always gives confusing directions to get an itunes library off one comp to another, all i do is open the library on one comp, click edit-select all and then drag it to the external hd, plug it into the new comp open itunes, and then drag it back in the library window. Itunes all make all the necessary folders and such in the correct location for you.

5. Chipskip macrumors member

Gaming isn't bad, I play COD4:MW natively with no issues. Do buy a nice gaming mouse, newegg.com has the Razer DeathAdder Mac addition for $50.

I too just converted to mac and have a couple of suggestions for you. When you buy from apple get the low end HD and RAM. Then go to newegg or macsales.com and buy them there. a 500GB HD is about $110 from either and 4GB of RAM is only $60. Both are very easy to change. Mac makes cloning your HD super easy or if you have the HD when you get your MacBook then swap them out right away and insert the OS disc and you will be good to go.

The iTunes conversion is very easy too.

6. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

Hi, glad to hear you will be getting a Mac soon, you will love it! I haven't used it much for gaming to be honest i only use my macbook really for the web, editing tools and working, the gaming i mainly leave to my consoles:) i do hear that it is not too bad to run some games on it but if you are a serious gamer then the pro is the best option to go for.

I have used bootcamp on it before, got rid of it about a week ago though purely because i was not using it much at all, though installing vista through bootcamp is easy and you can print off a PDF of the instructions before you start the bootcamp process.

The itunes music files are easy to copy, i just copied them from my old Dell onto a USB drive and then pasted them into the relevant directory on the macbook, itunes does all the rest of the work!