Future of 13"MBP different approach??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spmiz12, Nov 21, 2010.

1. spmiz12 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just wondering, Could or would Apple consider to drop the 13" MBP. Hear me through.... Restrictions of dual core ending, not having size currently for i3, i5 ; not to mention the introduction of 13" air recently this year....

Maybe they'll introduce a lower end 15", and sweeten the high end 15 with more ram, SSD, and hi-res standard....

Just wondering if that could be their approach going forward.... What you think??

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Remove the ODD from 13" and it would become a very capable computer. An i3 or even i5 with decent discrete GPU and even longer battery life.

13" is their bestseller, I can't see it being dropped

3. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

90% of Americans can't even afford 13" MBP

Is it Apple's goal to drop their OS share of the market below 5%?

If Apple puts an i7 processor and 400 series nVidia graphics in the 13" MBP and sells it for $1,200 they make several times the profit that HP makes on a similarly configured laptop.

Apple is selling an unchanged design that is two years old. Not even a new skin.

Why does Flash function so poorly on OSX? Because Adobe has no reason to care about how Flash functions on an OS that has just five percent of world market share.
    --

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What's your point? Mac sales are getting better and better all the time and Apple makes enormous profits every quarter. Apple isn't interested on low-end market. They make enough money by selling premium products and money is all they care about.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

Maybe.

They did use the previous design for five and a half years, seems they fare well, though they seem to have decreasing profits lately. Maybe they should go back to Motorola.

Yes.

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Are you implying that it should be their goal to increase the OS market share of OS X?

7. akbc macrumors 6502

Seriously, 13" MBP should drop ODD. Leave the ODD to the White MacBook, get pro seriously powered up with nice i5/i7's, better GPU and insane battery life.

Have 3 lines of 13" laptops.

MBA for ultraportable but a little weak. (But more than enough for the general business uses)
    MBP for supercharged laptop experience - matte screen, ultra-res screens and more.
    MB for a balance between power and portability.

8. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Yes of course, and the main reason I say that is because their laptops are much better -touchpad and screens- and the profit margins ridiculously large. That means Apple could use their laptops to gain market share by cutting their profits in half and not reduce their total profits. They might even increase their profits.

There is no immediate advantage for Apple desktops, but greatly increased growth of laptop sales would benefit them there longterm as well.

Apple is really on the edge. Their OS share is ignorable. They benefit greatly from their share of the high end market and wealthy users, but there is a limit to that. Adobe could have responded in a very harsh manner and Adobe would survive it with no problem. Their products stand alone and no one needs an Apple computer or OSX to use them.