Other Future of 3D touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kyledude, Jul 4, 2018.

1. kyledude macrumors newbie

Since it seems that one upcoming phone won't have 3D touch and Apple doesn't seem to have made any big advances with 3D touch and also it seems that not many people are using it, will 3D touch have a bright future on Iphones?

I personally like it and use it a lot. Hope it stays and gets better.

2. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I use it as well. Once you get used to it, you can’t go back.

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Its the one feature alone that will influence my next iPhone decision. Apple leaving it off the 6.1” LCD as rumoured will influence me to buy an 8 instead. My decision is pretty much made up anyway and I think it’s an incredibly useful feature for those of us who do a lot of typing on our iPhones.

6. j800r macrumors 6502

Nothing has been announced. Stop accepting rumour as fact. We know NOTHING as of right now so stop kidding yourself into thinking we do. Apple’s latest flagship devices are the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X. 3D Touch is a relatively new implementation. It ain’t going anywhere any time soon, even if some budget model does come out without it.

7. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

It won't have 3D Touch, but Kuo is expecting the feature to be simulated by software.

The fact that iOS 12 now supports keyboard trackpad mode on non-3D Touch devices basically confirms it. Not that anyone was doubting Kuo in the first place.

The real question is, what is the new sensor layer that replaces the 3D Touch layer in the 6.1" iPhone used for?

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

3D Touch was and still is my favorite iPhone feature, especially with third party developers are involved. The issue is, Apple never marketed 3D Touch enough for users to fully understand its functionality and how to use it. Peek and Pop for messages, Emails and viewing photo’s is highly convenient without having to open the entire document. 3D Touch is merely a shortcut tool, I use it frequently.

9. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

I use 3D touch all the time. IMO, 3D touch is a gimmick that the long press could have handled, as is evident with the iPad. If 3D touch is dropped, I surely hope those features are implemented in a long press.

10. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Long press doesn't support peek and pop, a feature i use regularly.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

As long as long press vibrates as you use it and gives the impression of haptic feedback then I don’t mind.

12. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I use it every day. It makes for nice shortcut actions.

13. atton macrumors regular

atton

I use it often too, although I feel like you could get the same exact functionality with a long press (for devices that don't have 3d touch).

In any case, I do feel its rather inconsistent on my X (same deal in ios 11.4 and 12 PB1) when I try to force touch the keyboard to move the pointer around in that it often registers it as a long press rather than a force touch. Yes I have tried several different ways to force touch it.

Anyone with the same experience?

I like the concept but the implementation could be improved upon with additional quality of life functionality throughout the OS.

14. Painter2002 macrumors 65816

Painter2002

I use it a lot too, if they develop a viable software simulate version of it that'd be great but I doubt they will drop it completely. It will just be reserved for the more expensive "flagship" models if anything, which would allow the other new releases to target the more budget conscious clientele.

Having said that, I agree with @j800r, don't believe all the rumors. Kuo has not always been right, and personally all the "rumors" spoil new releases to an extent.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I do believe Kuo’s prediction about how 3D Touch will inevitably change into some form of software action, but as long as I can still execute the same functionality in just a different style, I’m perfectly fine with whatever Apple choose to do. I simply just want this as a shortcut navigation tool for native and third party applications.

16. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Anyone else notice 3D Touch from the lock screen (Torch & Camera) now make a couple of ticking sounds when you first press & then release the icons?

I like it.

17. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

That was introduced in 12.1. I like it too :)

18. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

I’m the same way.

I Really like my X.

If I had to replace it with either an XR or 8 Plus, I choose 8 Plus.

19. infoghost macrumors member

infoghost

I just went from the XR back to the 8plus. I missed Touch ID way more than I thought I would. Glad to have it back.

20. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I guess I'm in the minority but I rarely ever use it, cool feature but more gimmicky than useful for me.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Same, I almost never use it and activate it by accident when I do "use" it. lol.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sometimes I find those those ‘Who rarely use it’, actually don’t know how to use it. Or they don’t take advantage of all the core functionality that it has. And I blame Apple, because they never really demoed 3D Touch except for the 6s keynote and most consumers have no idea what it does. Which is unfortunate, because it really is a useful feature for those who do take advantage of it through iOS stock applications, peek and pop for photos and even third-party applications.

23. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Completely agree with this. I’ll miss it if they got rid of it.

24. doboy macrumors 68020

Really like 3D Touch but learning to live without on my XR :(

25. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

I actually use 3D Touch more on App icons themselves - so essentially, it's the 3rd party developers taking advantage of the feature which I find most useful (& of course Apple themselves, with their own Apps)

I don't use Peek/Pop much, if at all during a week.