Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yurtal

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Hi guys. I own a first generation Apple Watch Sport and I'd like to find out what the future holds for it. I totally love it and was wondering if there is any indication that I will/will not be compatible with the next watchOS? I don't want to have to upgrade and just hope it will continue to be support for some time yet.
Thanks for your help.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
... I'd like to find out what the future holds...
According to relativity the 'future' is laid out on a line (like all dimensions) but we are 'stuck' following the line (arrow of time) who's speed is dictated by entropy.:D

So wouldn't we all like to 'know' what the future holds. Of course it would make things like the lottery and football games irrelevant. :eek:

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
According to relativity the 'future' is laid out on a line (like all dimensions) but we are 'stuck' following the line (arrow of time) who's speed is dictated by entropy.:D

So wouldn't we all like to 'know' what the future holds. Of course it would make things like the lottery and football games irrelevant. :eek:

Sage advice indeed.

OP, with Watch OS Four on the verge of being debuted at WWDC June 2017. It's likely or my best educated guess that the first generation Apple Watch and/or Apple Watch sport in general would likely be supported through watchOS four. That said, there's no guarantees how it would perform until in Beta.

That said, watchOS 3 .1 really benefited the first generation Apple Watch greatly with battery life, speed and overall lag. I think the major jump will be in March 2018 when we see the debut of the likely third generation Apple Watch, which ultimately will have a major overhaul.

Last edited:
Reactions: bob24

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
My guess: watchOS 4 will be supported, but Apple will make little efforts to optimise battery life and performance on the first generation watch, and might restrict some features to S1/S2 and above to try and convince S0 owners to upgrade.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
I'd say you'll be good for at least 1 more generation of Apple Watch. When series 4 is released you'll probably see Apple drop support for Series 0. They may even support it till series 5. But given that Apple Watch isn't updated as frequently as other Apple products (well I guess the Macs don't count :p) it'll probably be series 4.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'd say you'll be good for at least 1 more generation of Apple Watch. When series 4 is released you'll probably see Apple drop support for Series 0. They may even support it till series 5. But given that Apple Watch isn't updated as frequently as other Apple products (well I guess the Macs don't count :p) it'll probably be series 4.

It was reported on the front page of MacRumors today that another Apple Watch might release in September 2017. I'm not sure if I believe it though.

Reactions: bob24

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
It was reported on the front page of MacRumors today that another Apple Watch might release in September 2017. I'm not sure if I believe it though.

Yes that report is a bit strange. It says no design change and focus on performance and battery life ... sounds like series 2 reloaded.

I would be happy with that is it would mean the S2 I just got would have little to shy about v.s. the new model, but I find hard to believe Apple won't try to add a few new health related sensors and try to make the design thinner.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
I think the next few OSs will work fine on a S0. Apple will need to ensure backwards compatibility so that those that bought the 'Gold' version don't lose out.

Reactions: 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think the next few OSs will work fine on a S0. Apple will need to ensure backwards compatibility so that those that bought the 'Gold' version don't lose out.

Easily. watchOS 4 will suffice on the first generation Watch. It's when the major revamp happens with new health sensors, processor and more advanced OS that will ultimately render the Watch over time.

Reactions: Obi Wan Kenobi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.