Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felix Bomar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2017
Would you like to see apps continue to be available on the Watch? What app functionality would you use?

Der Keyser

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2016
Sure, it’s part of why the apple watch is interesting. But honestly Apple is limiting the platform way too much for devs, so that’s why very few apps actually turns out usefull. I basically only use the built in apps plus my podcast remote controller.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I really don't use any other apps other then the built in ones. Like mentioned above, Apple limits their functionality way too much now for them to be useful.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Sure, it’s part of why the apple watch is interesting. But honestly Apple is limiting the platform way too much for devs, so that’s why very few apps actually turns out usefull. I basically only use the built in apps plus my podcast remote controller.

How are they limiting them? I have been playing with the SDK, seems pretty good to me. There is a heavy tilt towards power management (as one would expect) but that’s about it. So far I have been able to cut/paste iOS code and it works. UI assets are different, I am speaking of the code itself.

The real challenge is how to get a meaningful app shrunk down to watch size more than anything else I would think.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I use a ton of apps from the App Store. I’ve put a list out there before so I won’t recreate it now but I easily use 10 consistently. One is a daily driver (Things) as a complication and another (AnyList).

The biggest change in why I use them a lot is probably the list view (and dock) in watchOS 4. Now I know what apps are what instead of using the grid layout which is cool looking but horrible to find apps in.

I think list view ought to be default and grid view as an option for people willing to put the time into making a quick layout for their most used apps.

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Yea it’s true I rarely use other than the native apps. The only ones I do use happily are things and THE BEST APP EVER called “groceries” which is an amazing shopping list that works perfectly with Siri. Use it every day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.