Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I can hardly wait for my iPhone 6 plus, but I can't imagine that everyone wants a 4.7" or 5.5" phone. I wonder (hope) that Apple will retain the iPhone 5s or 5c as a smaller model, even updating it with the latest technology (including :apple:Pay) for those that want power and function without the additional size. Thoughts?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The iPad 2 stayed around for a while, then was updated to the "iPad with retina display", so why couldn't an iPhone do something similar?

The NFC technology needed for the ApplePay process would physically not fit in the 5s or 5c, the phones would need to get bigger. Presto, iPhone 6.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
I wonder (hope) that Apple will retain the iPhone 5s or 5c as a smaller model, even updating it with the latest technology (including :apple:Pay) for those that want power and function without the additional size. Thoughts?

I wish this as well.

A three model range would be ideal for customer choice:
  • 4-inch
  • 4.7-inch
  • 5.5-inch
Unfortunately... when it comes to smartphones it's pretty much take whatever the OEM decides gives you :(

Take Motorola for example, they had a die-hard following of people for the size and compactness of the MotoX... yet they come out with some huge 5.2 inch monster for the 2nd generation, so what can you do?

The hip new thing is large screens, almost every industry goes through these sort of periods where the manufacturers try to come out with new sizes (from small to big to small to big etc) that the customers haven't had before and will get them to buy. I'm going to try and wait through it and hopefully Apple will have a smaller model once again in 3-4 years.

In the meantime I simply plan to keep my 5s on iOS 7 (maybe 8 as long as others say there is ZERO performance degradation on the 5s) and as fast as the day I bought it, as well as battery replacement(s) if needed over the years to keep battery life like new.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
I'd be fairly confident that in September 2015, the 5c will be replaced by a 6c with an A8 processor. Not sure if there will ever be a new 4.0" device with a brand new processor. There should be though, I'm sure many people would want it (rather than a c model).

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
5 s/c users will need an iWatch to use NFC I bet.

:eek:

fe91a3dc38b1981226c5c025fc759674.jpg

That's not that bad a compromise either. Would be nice to get that new generation feature tide into a 5s :)

p.s. I assume you simply made a mistake when you said 5c users above (seeing as they don't have touch i.d.) right?

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
:eek:

p.s. I assume you simply made a mistake when you said 5c users above (seeing as they don't have touch i.d.) right?

Nope, the iWatch has its own security code and skin contact. Don't believe you need TouchID to pay with iWatch.

:apple:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
The iPad 2 stayed around for a while, then was updated to the "iPad with retina display", so why couldn't an iPhone do something similar?

Apple had no choice if they wanted future business. They sold a boat load to schools and businesses. Imagine what would happen if they discontinued and bricked them. Consumers they can handle but schools and governments demand longer support.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
To be honest, I can see them keeping the 4" alive but only in the C model. And that model would continue to remain free. Then this years 6 would be $99 and the 6S/7 will be the new flagship.

$0 iPhone 6C
$99 iPhone 6
$199 iPhone 6+
$199 iPhone 6S
$299 iPhone 6S+

Seems like a lot of SKUs for Apple but hard to see it any other way. Unless they eliminate the 6/6+ next year (or only have one model 6) along with the S and C models.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Because those were made and designed with the nfc technology built in. The 5s/c were not. They can't just cram it in. They'd need to change the internals or make it bigger.

Either way, won't happen.
Sounds like you are typing out of your ass, IMO. Will Apple continue making an iPhone 5S? Probably not. But to say it's because they can't fit an NFC chip inside is not accurate, unless you have some insider info. The NFC antenna on Android phones that you can see are incredibly thin and are mounted to the back side of the battery doors, barely noticeable. Apple wouldn't keep the same design for years if they did keep a 4" screen, so making a new 4" iPhone with NFC would not be impossible.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like you are typing out of your ass, IMO. Will Apple continue making an iPhone 5S? Probably not. But to say it's because they can't fit an NFC chip inside is not accurate, unless you have some insider info. The NFC antenna on Android phones that you can see are incredibly thin and are mounted to the back side of the battery doors, barely noticeable. Apple wouldn't keep the same design for years if they did keep a 4" screen, so making a new 4" iPhone with NFC would not be impossible.

Sure, the best way to discuss is to insult someone.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Because those were made and designed with the nfc technology built in. The 5s/c were not. They can't just cram it in. They'd need to change the internals or make it bigger.

Either way, won't happen.

I probably didn't word my ideas right. You're right that it cannot be cramed in. However, as thin as the 6 is, I find it hard to believe that some sort of compromise cannot be reached for a tiny NFC chip.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Depending on sales figures, I wouldn't be surprised if a 4-inch phone was part of the iPhone 7 lineup in a couple of years.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
To be honest, I can see them keeping the 4" alive but only in the C model. And that model would continue to remain free. Then this years 6 would be $99 and the 6S/7 will be the new flagship.

$0 iPhone 6C
$99 iPhone 6
$199 iPhone 6+
$199 iPhone 6S
$299 iPhone 6S+

Seems like a lot of SKUs for Apple but hard to see it any other way. Unless they eliminate the 6/6+ next year (or only have one model 6) along with the S and C models.

No way Apple keeps that many SKUs as current. 4 is pushing it, 5 is just impossible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.