Future of MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Javidaboii, May 3, 2015.

1. Javidaboii macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I just was thinking about the current 2015 Macbook alongside the heftier 2015 MacBook Air, and was wondering where exactly the notebook would go from here. I feel many think Apple will simply discontinue the line, but I think that they may be working on a true surface pro competitor: a hybrid laptop. Wouldn't it make since that the iPad line which includes the moniker "air" converges with the stagnate MacBook "air" line? I'm thinking instead of it being the "iPad Pro" it will be the successor to the MacBook air. An OSX machine when docked to the base, but an iOS machine when disconnected. Does this seem too far fetched?

2. mjs402 macrumors 6502

I don't see it happening. I think the Air is dead. Sure they upgraded the processor to Broadwell but they didn't incorporate the Force Touch trackpad. I also don't think they're going to make a Surface Pro competitor but you never know.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yes.

An iPad is an iPad, a MacBook is a MacBook. The Retina MacBook is an iPad-like MacBook. It is likely to be the Air's eventual replacement.

4. gmintz09 macrumors member

They might try something like that, though I've heard rumblings of the supposed iPad Pro and some have suggested a Surface Pro type hybrid. Who knows. But I really hope they don't completely kill off the Air. At least not yet...not until they do some much needed upgrades to the new MacBook. I think the Air still serves as a great laptop for a lot of people who don't need the power of the Pro. But Apple will do what Apple does, as always.

5. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

If Apple made a Surface type hybrid the price would be off the scale...

The rMB is as compact as anyone would need.

Not everything has to be Retina or have the latest in it.

3 Lines, weak casual rMB - Nice power with ports Air for a Mac at a 'reasonable' price - and the Pro including the excellent cMBP.

6. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

If hybrids get serious traction in the market, I can think it reasonable that Apple would produce one, after a period of observing what works & what doesn't (they will already be doing this..).

An Apple Hybrid would probably be one of the following:
    1) An iPad based screen (with ARM CPU) with a rMB based keyboard / base (with Intel core-M), so that you switch seamlessly between iOS and Mac OS depending on usage (tablet or laptop mode)

2) Have a single CPU in the screen and use a new combined version of Mac OS (Apple OS) that changes behaviour depending on usage mode - parallel to what MS is doing with Windows 10, which switches mode.

I don't see the MBA line continuing beyond another 2 years, and expect it to be relegated to same category as the cMBP until the rMB prices drop (or a 14" rMB is added), after which the MBA will be discontinued. I don't see the cMBP surviving beyond 2015.

We will see!