Future of Power(PC)?

z970mp

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
The Matrix
Well, whenever I jump ship from PPC (which will probably be somewhere in the 2020's), I'll have whatever he's having. The machine that kicks Intel @$$. I hope Apple eventually ditches Intel and moves to their Ax chip line, as soon as it gets powerful enough. - ...Who am I kidding? When Apple ditches Intel, they'll be ditching the Mac in favor of the iPad. The signs are already there.

G4fanboy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2013
Andalucia Spain
Well, whenever I jump ship from PPC (which will probably be somewhere in the 2020's), I'll have whatever he's having. The machine that kicks Intel @$$. I hope Apple eventually ditches Intel and moves to their Ax chip line, as soon as it gets powerful enough. - ...Who am I kidding? When Apple ditches Intel, they'll be ditching the Mac in favor of the iPad. The signs are already there.
I hope to be using Mac OS 9 till 2040

MysticCow

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2013
You could. Just not for anything that has to do with the internet. ;)

*fast forward to 2040*

IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE!!

MAC OS 9 LIVES!!!

(no pun intended)
None taken. Well, at least from me, an OS 9 user (don't run their awesome site)

I've actually went BACK to OS 9 from 10.5. If it weren't for about two things (including that pesky OpenXML converter for Office), I'd stay there forever.

Reactions: G4fanboy

RhianB

macrumors 65832
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
A computer is inanimate thus its mechanical function and value is defined purely through the eyes and experience of the human beings using them - to anthropomorphize them is necessary in order to define their value and place within the human context.

I'm pretty sure Erik gets this concept completely. I would define living not simply as being used (an extremely narrow definition) but being used successfully to participate and function within the greater cyber arm of society. In this light I agree with Erik. To use OS9 today might be quirky and fun with a handful of users capable of doing it but the reality is that it doesnt really serve the modern internet in any capable way - heck PPC OSX is practically there itself. So in that light, yeah I guess your existing ... kinda sorta, but certainly not living if living is the ability for humanity to participate & exist withinin the modern 2017 internet in a meaningful/current way.

Yay that was fun. :D

Reactions: z970mp

Dronecatcher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
This is actually quite interesting. I was browsing their site, but there is no mention of their price range yet. Any idea how much these POWER systems usually go for? I assume these processors aren't cheap.
I'm sure the prices will be insane by consumer desktop standards - I'd imagine £4000 plus?

crammedberry

macrumors regular
I'm sure the prices will be insane by consumer desktop standards - I'd imagine £4000 plus?
That's what I was thinking as well. It's too bad though – that currently translates to ~$5200+ USD.

If this is successful, maybe it leaves open the possibility of more custom machines with lower-end POWER processors. One can hope.

I think the future of RISC processor computing is beyond the PPC, likely ARM-based desktop systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.