Future of Siri

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by someone28624, Oct 12, 2012.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

What are some things you'd like to realistically be able to ask Siri to do in the future? I know we'd all like freshly fried bacon waiting for us when we get up, but I mean things that could actually happen. I find Siri works best in situations where a simple phrase could be said but actually programming it would take time.

My first idea is, "On days I have work at 7am, wake me up at 6am." If it would read my calendar and know when to wake me up for work based on that, it would be awesome considering I work variable hours.

"If I don't use my phone for 2 hours leading up to the half hour before a a meeting, remind me then about the meeting."

It would also be cool if it could integrate with Find My Friends and I could say, "Next time I see Amanda, remind me to pay her back."

I'd like to see Siri be able to change settings, ie, "Don't disturb me for the next hour." Or, "Turn Wifi off."

Finally, I'd like to see if get to know me. Learn that I like Mexican food and show those restaurants higher on lists, etc.

2. wharzhee macrumors 6502

u shld add it up for suggestions in their (apple) portal.
    cool ideas.

3. lunaoso, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I personally would love the "Movies" Siri function to be used for TV Shows as well so we could ask "What shows are on tonight?" or "When will show XYZ be on next?". Or also "when is show XYZ on tonight?"

4. matrix07, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2012

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I would like if Siri could add contacts. It seems like this would be pretty easy to do.

The future of SIRI will be contextual aware. This we all know. But even today what I'd like to see is "SIRI Mode".
    SIRI Mode is a mode you enable, for example, when you're driving. In this mode SIRI will take over and you will interact with your phone only through SIRI. You don't have to long-press Home or long-press your Bluetooth. Simply say "SIRI.." and ask for something. Like read my mail, send my message, tell me about the weather, the traffic ahead, the stocks, read latest news, sport scores.. etc. etc. These are what SIRI can do right now. All we need is a mode to enable SIRI to listening to us, waiting for our orders. This mode will work even when the phone's asleep.
    You can even ask her "what do I forget?" and SIRI will check Reminders, Calendar and Contact (for Birthdays) and tell you what needs your attention. When the call come and you receive it, it will temporarily disable the mode but when you ends call SIRI mode will re-enable automatically until you turn the mode off manually or tell her to end the mode.

And I'd like SIRI to be able to communicate through Notification channel so SIRI between phones can interact with each others. Example: I tell my SIRI to sing this song to my wife. My SIRI will communicate with her SIRI and her SIRI will tell her "He want me to sing this song for you, would you like to hear it?" All of this without a single notification on her phone.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Can I say send email to blah blah saying blah, how are you blah… and it will send? I’ve heard you can reply but can you compose?

6. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Almost. You can specify a recipient and subject, and then Siri asks for the body of the email before offering to send or cancel.

In your example, the "how are you blah…" would be interpreted as the subject, despite the way you said it.

7. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I agree. When I ask Siri when the next season of Psych starts, she has absolutely no idea what in the world I'm talking about. If I tell her it's a tv show, she responds bluntly that she can't help me with tv shows. No help at all.

----------

I would like apple to add additional Siri voice options, including a selection of celebrity voices to choose from. Perhaps they might even be a selection of straightforward with unique accents, sexy, and comical voices.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I asked Siri for the MLB playoff schedule and it replied that the season was officially finished. I tried three different ways and got no correct response. Then I hate to even say this, I tried the same query on my Nexus 7 and got the correct answer with the first try. Mind you it wasn't a search page with links to the schedule. It was a card with the full playoff schedule. Needless to say it was very disappointing.

I think they need to perfect the current capabilities before adding new things. All the suggestions the OP made are great but only when Siri works correctly 99% of the time. Otherwise you just lose faith and stop using it like I did on my 4S.

9. kandavu macrumors member

kandavu

I'd like Siri to be perpetually listening for a scrolling down or up command, meaning....hands free/voice activation & hands free/voice controlled scrolling.

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

speed speed speed. siri speed is a crapshoot. she understands me and gets the correct answer most of the time but some times that line around the mic button spins a few times. nothing more irritating.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

Great info. So how do you start it? "Send email to Barack Obama Misc"
    Wait for Siri
    "Hey hope you are well!"

12. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Hah...that's exactly how it works, right? No different than texting. Or you can sink dictate and then paste into an email later.

13. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This would be awesome. Or, "Who's this guest actor on Bones tonight?"

14. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Boy...that would be awesome...I would love to know which musical guests are on any given show on a certain day or week...

15. cipo macrumors member

Siri needs an API so that you can use her to interact with 3rd party apps. She'll always be a gimmick unless this becomes a reality.

16. Fluttershy macrumors regular

Fluttershy

Morning Roundup.

When I wake up, I want to go "Siri, roundup please", and she will respond with a set of information: i.e. the weather today is...., your first meeting is at ......, it's XYZ's birthday today......, you also have 5 facebook notifications etc."

This could also be customised for stuff like Stocks, and more.

That is what I would like to see - plus more app integration and the SIRI Mode that was mentioned above.

Maybe even SmartActions like the Razr - "Siri, when it's 10pm, please put phone on silent and activate alarms", "Siri when I get to work, please change my ringtone to Business Ring, and when I leave please change it back to Gangnam Style"

17. Edslunch macrumors member

I would like to teach her words she doesn't understand. It's so frustrating when she's unable to understand words phrases and names. Give me somewhere I can add those words

18. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd like Siri to stop telling me I have a conflict when I try and add calendar events because it's someone's birthday.

"Siri, what song is playing (on the radio, CD player, etc) right now?"

----------

The Nexus 7 has Siri type functionality?

19. xFiGGiE macrumors member

20. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

It has Google Now which is essentially Google's version of Siri. Although, from what I've seen it's much less "personal" I would say.

21. ultrasnowunlock macrumors newbie

Research shows that the latest clues about that future come from a newly-published patent, which hints at some of the things Siri may be able to do after its first iteration. The patent focuses primarily on the "hands-free context" in which users could employ voice control. Whether in a moving vehicle, at home or in a professional setting, there are a number of scenarios in which users could benefit from controlling their devices using only their voices.

22. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I want siri on the mac.

"tell <application> Yes / No"
    "pause my downloads" (to stop a video buffering, etc)
    "print this" (prints whatever i have open)
    "email this to <foo>"
    "save a new version of this"
    "lock/unlock this file"
    "restore my previous version" (vs navigating through time machine, etc, it just does it)

etc

All stuff you can do through the UI (if you navigate to the options), but would be easier to just get siri to do while you do something else.

Siri would also be cool if it could use the webcam on most macs to respond to gestures or facial expressions, for those who don't want to be talking to their machine all the time, or for those who perhaps aren't quite so computer savvy?

eg: you look like confused or like you made a mistake... siri pops up "would you like me to restore the last version from XXX date?"

lol

I'm aware siri is currently hit and miss... but that sort of thing is where i see it going in the coming years - enabling me to get stuff done without navigating through the UI while i do something else, helping me do boring crap like file management, and possibly with the option to pro-actively help the user if it thinks you've made a mistake.

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The biggest thing for me would be to free Siri from having to use the network.

24. TableSyrup macrumors 6502

Yeah.... in my opinion, there is a lot of room for improvement, but I am confident that it will get there.

My biggest immediate request would be for her to be implemented into the OS as software for performing local tasks, like "call so-and-so" or "remind me to whatever" and so on.

As it sits currently, if you do not have data present, she doesn't exist.

While I would not attempt to have her completely internal, she should be part of the OS software so you can at least perform local/internal tasks even if you don't have data available. So if you ask for a local function, she stays off data, but if it's a function that is not local, she then runs off data as she does presently.

This would be particularly beneficial for me, as I get in some crappy pockets, and she is then inaccessible.... and I'm back to the dark ages of pushing 'buttons' on my own :)

25. stuaz macrumors 6502

I personally would like Siri's location services to be better.

I have yet to get it to answer correctly to 'Wheres the nearest X' questions. It is normally WAY off.