Future of the dual cameras

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiddlaBronc, Nov 27, 2016.

1. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

As we know, the capabilities of the two camera system is limited at the moment. What do you guys think of future features that are in the "pipeline" for the cameras?
    Software and hardware related.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I think Apple can expand on increasing the optical zoom and perhaps the"Portait Mode." Portrait Mode is in beta, but I'm thinking with an improved camera, it can focus faster and provide better results in lower lighting conditions.

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Optical image stabilization in the telephoto lens and 3x optical zoom, to name a few.

4. RiddlaBronc thread starter macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

I am assuming if they go 3x that it will be hardware related?

5. ericwn macrumors 65816

Yes, from my understanding any optical zoom is done in hardware as you need lenses etc for it. Any digital zoom is basically just cropping the images.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

2x is awesome so far.

Videoed some of my nieces' basketball games in a decently lit gym and the results playing back to the Apple TV are excellent.

I also like how you can tap on the 1x/2x button and slide your finger up and down to control zoom while recording. Really makes good video zooming in and out of plays to get great action shots.

7. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if they are far enough apart, but you can do 3D with dual cameras, maybe they can crop and adjust the space between the two pictures??

8. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

9. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Super resolution can go multiple ways - there's OIS and software to improve pictures , it seems superresolution can have a hand in helping to improve pictures too. Bear in mind they added laser focusing for the first time in the 7 too, so they've got space for improvement there too hardware wise.

11. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Does Apple limit developers in what they can do? I remember seeing some videos when the dual camera was still just a rumor, they had such great ideas that I would love to see implemented into a real app.