Future of the Macbook and buying advice.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HyperSnake, Feb 6, 2009.

1. HyperSnake macrumors member

Hi,

I have been thinking of buying a white macbook nVidia graphics, since I've just recently gotten into programming and tired of using my mom's laptop(she is too!). First; Will there be any major technical changes to the macbook / macbook pro within the next year? I don't want to buy a computer and then 6 months later Apple announces a new processor or something. So if anybody could throw some light on the expected technical changes to the macbook for the next year(I have heard something about Nehalem, what is that?). Second; I know the whitebook can easily run xcode and iPhone SDK but what about Adobe Creative Suit(not big projects just small basic stuff), logic express and Final cut express(also just small projects)? Third and last; For how long do you think a whitebook would serve me for the above mentioned stuff?

Summarized: What's gonna happen to the macbook during the next year(in terms of upgrades)? How capable is the whitebook(nVidia) for Adobe creative suit and apple express apps? and for how long would a whitebook serve me well?

I would greatly appreciate some feedback. Ohh and by the way, money is matter. I would buy the whitebook and upgrade RAM to 4 gbs myself.

2. JonMcDonald macrumors member

The only real change we'll see throughout the year to the MacBook is a possible bump in the Alu MacBooks from like 2.0->2.2GHz, and possibly a larger HDD. In other words, you can buy now and be fine.

The MacBook runs all the forementioned software quite well. Logic Express and Final Cut Express may get bumpy if you're doing a lot in them, but you said nothing huge so you should be fine!

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:rolleyes: If you're worried about your computer being replaced with something better within the next year, my advice is not to buy a computer and go invest in a hermit cave. Whatever you buy, it's going to be replaced sooner rather than later.

The plastic MacBook will do all of the tasks you listed just fine. Buy a 4GB RAM kit from Crucial and it will serve you well into the future.

But don't worry about "will it be replaced within the next year?. Yes, it will. But that has no affect on the usefulness of the computer you buy today.

And FWIW, the unibody MacBook was released in October. There might be a minor update in the spring (which may or may not make it to the plastic one anyway). There might be a more substantial upgrade in the fall (which again, may or may not make it to the plastic one). Personally, I'm not expecting any substantial changes in the new MacBook until at least the fall... but I could be wrong.

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

I agree with this guy. Worrying about when a newer version of a computer coming out you will never buy one...

All the macbooks in the line now are amazing and are worth the money now.

The way technology is going.... you can buy a computer today and its out of date the next day. its the way it goes.

I would purchase one now !
    Buy with no regrets

5. HyperSnake thread starter macrumors member

I agree, it's just what's annoying me so much is that I could do without for now and I would either spent my own money now or get one for my confirmation next year... Aaargh!!

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Apple updates their stuff about every 6 months. But if you will keep waiting, you won't buy a thing ;)
    Now here's a bit of advice on the plastic MacBook: It cracks no matter how much care you take of it. If you can, avoid it and get the base unibody one.

7. HyperSnake thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I can't :( I must just hope mine doesn't, if I get one. Anybody can tell me what you can expect in the fall? Because you all say that something big probably would happen in the fall......

8. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Nothing big is going to happen in the fall, maybe they'll come pre-loaded with snow leopard or something like that, but nothing huge in terms of hardware or specs.

Wenn Sie heute ein Macbook kaufen willst dan mussen Sie das auch tun, verstehst du das?

-Steve aus Niederland.

9. HyperSnake thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the concrete answer

By the way, living in Switzerland doesn't make you Swiss:) I'm one of those immigrants they hate so much :)

10. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Where are you from?
    You haven't learned the language? That's one of the first things you should do if you become a guest in someone's country. But it's interesting they let you in, usually if you're not swiss you have no business in their country. Which is a policy I can respect.

There's lots of immigrants in the Netherlands and the dutch view towards them depends on how much of an effort they make to adjust to dutch culture, you're visiting there, adjust to their rules, don't try to change them to what you want. Oh well, you get my point.

Anyways, yeah, just buy the macbook. Otherwise once an update is done you'll be asking when the next one happens and you'll be waiting indefinitely.

11. HyperSnake thread starter macrumors member

Live in Geneva so Im learning French. Don't want to get further into this discussion.

Thanks, I'll probably buy it since I can't wait until indefinitely:)