Future of the MacBook Lineup

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Amasashi, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Amasashi macrumors member

Here's what I think the future will be like for the MacBook family:

1. The Retina MBP will follow the MBA's footsteps: crazy expensive at debut, but price will fall significantly over the next 1-2 years. Once it falls to $1,800 or below, the rMBP will become much more mainstream and eventually reign as the king for professionals.

Reasoning: Nothing much to explain here. The rMBP is just pure awesome. Everyone and their mother will buy one when the price drops.

2. The non-Retina MBPs will continue to receive minor spec bumps for another 1-2 years, but no significant changes. After the rMBP drops to around $1,800, Apple will discontinue the non-rMBPs.

Reasoning: The MagSafe 2 was created out of necessity for the rMBP. The MBA, however, was doing just fine with the old MagSafe but received the MagSafe 2 update as well. Maybe as future-proof for an even slimmer profile in the future, or maybe just to keep everything the same across the board. Whatever the reason, the fact that Apple only gave it to the MBA and not the non-rMBP when neither currently requires a MagSafe 2 is a clear indication that Apple will kill off the non-retina MBPs soon.

3. In the meantime, Apple will roll out a 13" rMBP that's mainly geared for prosumers, people who are willing to buy a slightly heavier computer than the Air to enjoy the Retina display.

Reasoning: 13" is Apple's best-selling size, and they love to give customers a choice for the 13"s. Back in 2009, you could buy the white MacBook or pay a little bit extra for the same computer in an aluminum unibody and a few extra minor features. Not quite professional, just prosumer. Likewise, in about 2014, you can buy the MBA for a true everyday laptop or shell out a little more for a 13" rMBP with enhanced features.

Beyond that, it's too hard to say what will happen. I'm sure Apple will eventually figure out a way to squeeze a Retina display into an Air, but by then it'll be nothing to write home about. They might drop the Air and just call it a MacBook because the Air will no longer be super thin once rMBPs and ultrabooks become mainstream. Or maybe tablets will prove to be the future everyone claims them to be and take over the world. Who knows.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

#1 and #2 are obvious, and #3 doesn't make any sense.

3. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

No way is Apple going to move the price floor of their laptops from $999 to $1,799.

4. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Number #3 won't happen this year. In Apple's next conference a new iPhone would get the entire attention. In addition, Apple would probably bring a smaller iPad. We might also see an update to iMac's and/or mini macs, but this is it.

5. chanyitian macrumors regular

I think you are right. I think that Apple will continue the Air and rMBP lineup for another 3years.

6. Power Macintosh macrumors member

Power Macintosh

I want a 4GHZ i7 quad core MacBook Air with a 3GB dedicated graphics card and a 768 GB of SSD at 1000 MBPS with 16GB, 2500 MHZ of RAM and a Retina Display with 24 hours of battery life at $1000. That's just perfect. And maybe a bit thinner. And lighter.

7. na1577 macrumors 6502a

These are very realistic predictions for the next few years. I share the same expectations with the OP.

8. TinyBFK macrumors member

That would be one hell of a keynote.

9. jojoba macrumors 68000

10. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I would love a 15" Air. I was sure they were going to introduce one in 2012, and I guess they sort of did with the RMBP. It isn't as thin or light as an Air, but it is very thin and as light as they could make it with the Retina display. I think in the next two years the RMBP will come down in price, the classic MBPs will be discontinued, and eventually a 13" RMBP will be introduced. The current Airs will stay around for a couple more years with minor improvements.

11. calvol macrumors 6502a

Forget retina on Air's, the hardware will not support it without killing battery life. However, Air's will go to an IPS screen in 2013.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

It depends on the technology used, read: innovation. So that is a moot point if we are talking about 1-2 years from now.