Future of World Wide Web

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by boodyup, Apr 15, 2011.

1. boodyup macrumors member

Dec 3, 2009

This is more of a philosophical question than a specific technical question:

Are mobile device apps like the ones you download for the iphone or ipad making the world wide web a less desirable medium for [web] application development ?

I ask because I've plunged myself in javascript for last couple months to get a better handle on it (I've always been weak in Javascript but have done a lot with php, html and css purely as a hobby over the last couple years) and had visions of doing something professionally with the web. Recently I purchased an ipad 2 and LOVE the thing. It appears that the apps can offer a unique experience that their web site equivalents cannot. Objective-C looks like an attractive language to learn.

I know HTML5 is brand new as well as CSS3 but is the world wide web losing it's grip? Will we be comparing the WWW to vcrs and 8 tracks in a few years? Or is not even worth comparing because they both can coexist?
  2. Apple2 macrumors member

Feb 28, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I think that both will exist, for most of the apps rely on the internet, and the internet will be used on actual computers. However, apps may overtake the iPhone/Android market, and these will not have internet on them. I find this unlikely, for computers will need a way to connect to the phones.