Future proof iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Will_32, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Will_32 macrumors newbie

How future proof is the iPad Air 2? I'd like to buy my mom one for her birthday because she has an old iPad 2 right now that she's had for 5 years and its practically unusable. She doesn't buy herself new tech items because she's scared she'll lose everything when she gets a new device (getting her to upgrade from her iPhone 4S to an iPhone 6 was quite a challenge). So I'd like to buy her something that will last her at least another 5-6 years before another hardware update is needed. She uses the iPad very lightly, Facebook, web browsing, occasional PDF viewing and printing. The iPad 2 is just very slow and laggy at this point, but it still does what she wants it to do fine. This would be her main computing device.

Any help or advice on how long it could last and whether it's a good investment or if it's better to wait for an iPad update would be greatly appreciated.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

If you dont buy iPad now, theyll never upgrade. Its really that... complicated.

4. newellj macrumors 601

With the caveat that no tech product is future proof, there's probably nothing that actually stretches the Air 2 right now, and it's likely to be many years before your mother wants to do anything on an iPad that would stretch the Air 2, so I think it's a pretty safe purchase.

5. Will_32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your replies. Will be getting her the iPad Air 2 then!

6. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Supposedly stores are clearing out the iPad Air 2 with bargain deals like Staples $350 because it's getting discontinued. iPad Prosumer is the only true future proof one.

7. Will_32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for the heads up on the Staples deal. Definitely going to pick one up from there, great deal.

8. Fynd macrumors 6502

You can't buy it and have future-proofing in mind, it's already missing essential iOS technology in 3D Touch. It's an amazing device, but the next iteration will have this and it'll instantly feel outdated.

9. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

I'd argue that a first generation device of a new product line is anything but future-proof.

The Air 2 with one of the current discounts is an amazing deal, in my view.

10. Will_32 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would agree that while the iPad Air 2 will be missing out on crucial technology like 3D touch, it'll be a large improvement over an iPad 2. And the current deals have it priced almost too good to pass up on.

11. newellj, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

newellj macrumors 601

I agree, there's considerable Gen 1 risk. Even without the true Gen 1 risk, there's frequently an early production risk - speaking as the former owner of several Apple devices over the years that were improved relatively shortly after their initial introduction.

12. newellj, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

newellj macrumors 601

So, which iPad can I buy today that has 3D Touch?

And if the Air 2 is already outdated, where does that leave the Mini 4, which has less powerful CPU and GPU chips?

13. ipaddaro macrumors member

also the ipad pro misses the 3D touch...

and from the first benchmarks, ipad air 2 has almost the same power of iphone 6s and 6s plus (less in single core, more in multi-core). i think it's quite future proof... i'm happymto have bought it last year :)

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I wouldn't call 3D Touch "essential" just yet.